This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6676 / 51°40'3"N
Longitude: -0.0847 / 0°5'4"W
OS Eastings: 532556
OS Northings: 198268
OS Grid: TQ325982
Mapcode National: GBR H4.FBV
Mapcode Global: VHGQ7.HC30
Entry Name: Church of St Luke the Evangelist and Attached Parish Room
Listing Date: 31 January 1974
Last Amended: 19 April 2006
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1188561
English Heritage Legacy ID: 200540
Location: Enfield, London, EN2
Electoral Ward/Division: Chase
Built-Up Area: Enfield
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Clay Hill St John
Church of England Diocese: London
BROWNING ROAD N11 (South side)
Parish Room attached to Church of St Luke The Evangelist
BROWNING ROAD (West side)
Church Of St Luke The Evangelist
PHIPPS HATCH LANE, Church of St Luke The Evangelist
PHIPPS HATCH LANE, Parish Room attached to Church of St Luke The Evangelist
(Formerly listed as: BROWNING ROAD N11 CHURCH OF ST LUKE, Formerly listed as: BROWNING ROAD N11 PARISH ROOM ATTACHED TO CHURCH OF ST LUKE THE EVANGELIST)
Church of St Luke the Evangelist and attached parish room. 1899-1900 by James Brooks in Early English style. Nave not completed until 1909. Late C20 reordering.
MATERIALS: Red brick in English bond, timber framing, stone dressings, tiled roofs; slated crossing tower with spire. Herringbone brick in some gables.
PLAN: Nave and chancel under one continuous roof. Both have north and south aisles; lean-to nave aisles but gabled chancel aisles. North and south transepts with paired gables. Porches to the north-west and south-west. Parish room attached at the south-east corner. Crossing-tower with spire.
EXTERNAL:The two principal façades are the west elevation, and the north elevation onto Phipps Hatch Lane. The west elevation has a shallow gabled porch over a richly moulded west doorway with shafts with bell capitals and flanking blind arches, all with nailhead decoration. Above the door is a frieze of blind arcading with four lancet windows above. In the gable is a vessica window, three carved blind roundels and timber-frame detailing. The north elevation is the show front with the slate crossing tower and spire above a nave and chancel clerestory, a gabled chancel aisle to the east, double-gabled transept with herringbone brick and timber framing details, a lean-to nave aisle to the west and a projecting porch. There is stepped buttressing to the aisles and transepts and a continuous stringcourse on the nave rises as the hood-moulds to the clerestory windows. The slate-hung turret on the ridge does not contain bells and there is no access to it. It is octagonal on a square base with lucarne windows and a finial. The north-west porch has a coped gable with kneelers and a stone tympanum over the door, pierced with round-headed lights. The transepts have long two-light windows with roundels in the head, the aisles have paired lancets, and there are single lancets to the clerestory. The east elevation is plainer with two tiers of triple lancet windows and a moulded stringcourse rising to become hood-moulds, timber-frame and herringbone detail to the gable. There is a plate-traceried two-light window at the east end of the south chancel aisle and a three-light window to the end of the north chancel aisle. A corbelled brick chimney stack rises from the south wall of the chancel. The parish room is in the same lancet style. Its east end is lower than the main block and there is an open porch with a hipped tiled roof on timber posts in the corner between the two blocks and a roofed link between church and room.
INTERIORS: Exposed brick with stone dressings. Moulded stone chancel arch on brick responds with stone shafts; similar responds to the transepts. The wall above it is pierced with a triple arch. A low stone wall divides the chancel from the nave. Five-bay nave arcades with low cylindrical piers with foliate capitals. Three-bay arcades into the chancel aisles with quatrefoil section piers. A timber wagon roof has its principal rafters supported on moulded stone corbels.The south chancel aisle has a boarded roof, with an open roof to the north aisle. The reredos is of trefoil-headed stone frames with painted and gilded scenes. There are similar panels to the altar. The chancel tiling becomes more elaborate towards the east end. To the south of the altar is a sedilia and aumbry with stone shafts and moulded capitals. Timber pulpit and nave benches; the former with blind traceried side panels and the latter with Y-shaped ends. The stone octagonal font is a carved bowl on an octagonal stem. The chancel and nave stained glass is by Lavers and Westlake. Early C20 stylised Stations of the Cross.
HISTORY: The Anglican church of St Luke the Evangelist and the attached parish room were built in 1899-1900 by James Brooks. However, the nave was not completed until 1909. A north-west tower was planned but never built.
Pevsner, N, 1998 The Buildings of England: London 4 North, p437
View from the north-east, in The Builder, September 24, 1898, shows the tower that was planned at the north-west corner, but never built.
SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: St Luke the Evangelist is a handsome 1899 church by the eminent late-Victorian architect, James Brooks with surviving original fittings and an attached contemporary parish room in a similar Early English style.
Other nearby listed buildings