This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0832 / 53°4'59"N
Longitude: -2.1429 / 2°8'34"W
OS Eastings: 390522
OS Northings: 354010
OS Grid: SJ905540
Mapcode National: GBR 13D.R0P
Mapcode Global: WHBCG.1RTP
Entry Name: Church of St Anne
Listing Date: 15 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1188577
English Heritage Legacy ID: 274508
Location: Brown Edge, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST6
District: Staffordshire Moorlands
Civil Parish: Brown Edge
Built-Up Area: Stoke-on-Trent
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Brown Edge St Anne
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
BROWN EDGE C.P. CHURCH ROAD
SJ 95 SW
- Church of St Anne
Parish church. 1844 by J.C. Trubshaw, extended 1854 by Ward and
Son of Hanley, under the patronage of H.H. Williamson. Rock-faced
coursed stone; tiled roof; verge parapets with bellcote to west.
Neo-Norman tower, nave, chancel. Nave and chancel by Trubshaw.
Nave: of 4 bays divided by 2-stage buttresses and with 3 round-
arch windows to each bay; corbelled eaves and string at cill
level; gabled porch to west end. Chancel: very small lower chancel
of one bay; east window of 3 round arches, the centre taller and all
with zig-zag ornament. Tower: by Ward, Iconoclastic Romanesque, set
to the north-east of the church and dominating the site; square plan;
of 3 stages with set-back buttresses up to the bell chamber; grotesque-
head corbels to zig-zag frieze and widely projecting gargoyles under
solid spire with scalloped finish in imitation of tiles; 2 pairs of
lucarnes to each face; circular stair turret to north-east finished
by a cone-shaped roof; 2-light round-arch bell chamber openings,
2 to each face with columns in deeply-set reveals between lights;
round-arch window to north and round-arch door to west with elaborate
low-relief carving in tympanum inscribed: "VICT 1854" within arch.
Listing NGR: SJ9052254010
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings