History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter and St Paul

A Grade II* Listed Building in Redmile, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9063 / 52°54'22"N

Longitude: -0.845 / 0°50'41"W

OS Eastings: 477778

OS Northings: 334938

OS Grid: SK777349

Mapcode National: GBR BM6.WQ0

Mapcode Global: WHFJF.Z6ST

Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul

Listing Date: 3 August 1979

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1188593

English Heritage Legacy ID: 190247

Location: Redmile, Melton, Leicestershire, NG13

County: Leicestershire

District: Melton

Civil Parish: Redmile

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Barkestone St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Redmile

Listing Text

SK 7634-7734 REDMILE JERICHO LANE
(West side)
Barkestone-le-Vale
46/301 Church of St Peter and
St Paul
3.8.79

II*

Parish church. Mainly C14 with C15 alterations. West tower, nave,
chancel, north aisle, and south aisle added and clerestory rebuilt in 1840
by William Parsons. Restored 1857. Ironstone with ashlar dressings and
slate roofs. 3 stage tower with diagonal buttresses. 3-light
Perpendicular west window. String courses between storeys. Slit lights to
ringing chamber and 2-light Perpendicular belfry windows. Crenellated
limestone parapet with angle pinnacles. Plain octagonal spire. North
aisle has 2 3-light Perpendicular windows under 4-centred arches and a
similar east window. South aisle has 3-light Perpendicular windows of cast
iron and an arched doorway. Chancel lit through 2-light arched windows.
Interior. 3 bay arcade standing on compound piers: circular moulded bases
and undercut capitals. South side is of 1840. Triple chamfered tower
arch. Nave roof of tie beams on arched braces dropping on wall posts to
corbels. King strut rises from ties to ridge piece forming triangular
traceried openwork panels. Plain C13 drum font. C14 effigy in nave under
ogeed wall arch with finial. C15 tower screen partly formed of doors from
a chancel screen. Chancel roof as nave, but C19. 4 stall ends in chancel,
with elaborate poppyheads and deeply undercut figures of saints and other
carving: late C15.


Listing NGR: SK7777834938

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.