This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0532 / 53°3'11"N
Longitude: -2.0015 / 2°0'5"W
OS Eastings: 399996
OS Northings: 350658
OS Grid: SJ999506
Mapcode National: GBR 259.QS4
Mapcode Global: WHBCQ.7J56
Entry Name: Mosslee Hall
Listing Date: 2 May 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1188604
English Heritage Legacy ID: 274518
Location: Cheddleton, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST13
District: Staffordshire Moorlands
Civil Parish: Cheddleton
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Cheddleton St Edward the Confessor
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
1798/5/30 Mosslee Hall
Farmhouse. Mid C15. The house was originally timber framed, with an open hall and cross wing.
A substantial part of the C15 roof remains. The cross wing was remodelled C15/C16 to form a high-status private apartment. The house was remodelled c1640 by John Hollins, when the hall was floored over, a stack and staircase inserted, and the south front rebuilt in stone. Further replacement of timber by stone took place during the C 17, and minor alterations continued through the C18. Dryden Henry SJ1eyd carried out further restoration and remodelling c1880, including work to the windows, wes1: wing and the resiting of the staircase. Minor C20 alterations and additions. The building's constructional history is analysed at length in a study by Faith Cleverdon, and this should be consulted on matters of detail.
Ashlar, with ashlar dressings and plain tile roofs with coped gables and ball finials. Coped ashlar stacks, 2 ridge, 1 gable. Chamfered plinth, first floor band and coped parapet to south front and east gable. 2 storeys plus attics; ~7 window range, L-plan. Windows, restored late C 19 and reglazed C20, retain some chamfered mullions and transoms.
South front has to right a projecting cross wing with canted full height bay window, with reglazed windows on the lower floors and a mullioned attic window. Left return has a mullioned window
, and above, a coat of arms. In the r(:turn angle to left, an extruded corner porch, 2 storeys, with coped parapet. Late C20 French wimdow to ground floor, 3-light mullioned window above. To left, a square gabled bay window, 2 storeys, with reglazed window to ground floor, and a small 2-light window to right. 5-light mullioned window above, flanked by small 2-light mullioned windows. West wing has facing gable with a 2-light mullioned window on each floor. Rainwater head dated 1640 with coat of arms alld monogram JHM (John Hollins and wife?). Left return has datestone, 1880, coat of arms with monogram DHS (Dryden Henry Sneyd), and a C20 window on each floor. Rear gable has C20 attic window.
Projecting east gable has a 3-ligh1: cross-mullioned window and above, a canted stone oriel window on heavy shaped brackets. Eaves have similar brackets. Attic has a 2-light mullioned window. Left return has a cross-mullioned window on each floor. Rear range has hipped east end, with minor gable and stack to east. Rear elevation has off-centre late C20 porch, and to right, 2 late C20 windows on each floor .
INTERIOR: GROUND FLOOR; tll1e cross wing has an unusual pattern of thick and thin joists with parallel floorboards. Front hall,~ay has at the west end the early C 17 dogleg staircase, with square-turned newels, octagonal finiclls, splat balusters and heavy moulded handrails. Kitchen, at rear, has chamfered spine beam with stops, and exposed joists. West wing has chamfered spine beam and exposed joists. FIRST I,LOOR: Front landing has exposed cambered span beam to former open hall, exposed arch braces of central truss, and original wall plate. Walls flanking the porch have exposed C 15 close-studding. Other first floor rooms have some exposed structural timber. ROOF STRUCTURE: Maim range has original roof structure with trusses, single butt purlin, cusped wind braces and ridge piece all smoke-blackened, partly overlaid by C 17 /C 18 structure. 2 trusses retain kingposts with decorative shaping, one with arch braces. Closed truss to east has close studding. Dais truss and spere truss are identifiable. Cross wing has 4 trusses of different dates, 2 with king posts and cusped wind braces.
Listing NGR: SJ9999650658
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings