This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2377 / 51°14'15"N
Longitude: -0.2063 / 0°12'22"W
OS Eastings: 525314
OS Northings: 150249
OS Grid: TQ253502
Mapcode National: GBR JJ0.8NK
Mapcode Global: VHGS9.C5S1
Entry Name: The Old Town Hall
Listing Date: 19 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1188608
English Heritage Legacy ID: 289342
Location: Reigate and Banstead, Surrey, RH2
District: Reigate and Banstead
Town: Reigate and Banstead
Electoral Ward/Division: Reigate Central
Built-Up Area: Reigate
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Reigate
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
The Old Town Hall
TQ 2550 SW 12/1 19.10.51.
Built about 1728. 2 storeys, 4 windows facing north and south, 2 windows facing east and west. The west front is curved. Red brick and grey headers. Built on an open arcade of 4 round-headed arches on the north and south, 2 similar arches on the east and 3 on the west, of which the west arches, the westernmost arch of the south front and all but the easternmost arch of the north front have been filled in. Brick stringcourse above the arcade. The windows on the 1st floor have segmental heads and glazing bars intact. Brick modillion cornice, and parapet. Brick chimneys were added at the angles in 1853, which have not improved the proportions. The roof is flat. In the centre of this was placed in 1811 the slate lantern from the adjoining Clock Tower, which was then demolished. This has no relation to the rest of the building. The lantern narrows as it rises and is surmounted by 4 clock faces with a wooden cupola above having a leaden dome containing bells, on top of which is a ball cap and a weather-
Inside the Town Hall, at the east end, stands a red, K6-type telephone kiosk, this type designed 1935 by Sir Giles gilbert Scott. The kiosk was made by the Carron Company, is of cast iron, square on plan with domed roof and has unperforated George VI crowns to top panels and margin glazing to windows and door/telephone number Reigate 242520.
Listing NGR: TQ2531450249
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings