This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2144 / 51°12'51"N
Longitude: -0.6349 / 0°38'5"W
OS Eastings: 495445
OS Northings: 147021
OS Grid: SU954470
Mapcode National: GBR FCN.VQ1
Mapcode Global: VHFVL.YQ7W
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 14 June 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1188621
English Heritage Legacy ID: 288341
Location: Compton, Guildford, Surrey, GU3
Civil Parish: Compton
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Compton
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
SU 94 NE COMPTON C.P. THE STREET
3/84 Church of St Nicholas
Church. C11 tower with .C12, Romanesque
alterations to chancel, enlargement of nave circa 1180 and further small
alterations in C14, C15 and C19. Restored by Henry Woodyer. Mortar
rendered Bargate rubblestone with ashlar dressings. Plain tiled roof
with wood shingled broach spire. Nave with pentice roof aisles, double
chancel to east and square tower to west, with porch to south.
Unbuttressed tower with lancet openings in each face of
bellchamber. Of blocked windows in chancel walls with simple hollow
mouldings, one to north and one to south. C13 lancet windows in aisles
alternating with foiled head, two-light aisle windows. Decorated window
to east end of south aisle, C19 triangular, tile hung, hipped roof,
dormers on south side of nave roof with one dormer in chancel to north
and penticed roof addition to north side. C12 south door in gabled
porch with round order and one order of chevron zig-zag moulding to surround.
North door - blocked and round headed.
Interior: Three bay round pier arcades to nave under scalloped and stylised
foliage capitals, curious clover leaf type capital to south pier, unchamfered
arches. Crown post roof. Soffits of nave arcade crimped as is chancel arch.
Nook shafts to chancel arch with an order of zig-zag above. Braced crown
post roof. Tower arch with abaci imposts, zig-zag and patterned mouldings
to chancel windows. Sanctuary: two storeys, vaulted below. Separate
chapel above open to chancel and separated from it by Romanesque guard
rail - one of the earliest pieces of church woodwork in the country.
Restoration indicates that the chambers were built inside the existing
chancel walls. Lower chamber: Quadripartite ribbed vault with thick ribs
and single chamfer, Keystone. Arch leading to lower chapel from the
chancel has two orders, a deeply cut inner roll moulding and an outer
moulding of saw-tooth ornament, similar to formalized beak-heads, supported
on small nook shafts. Outside is a label moulding composed of dog-tooth
ornament, an early example. The small room to the south of the upper
chamber contains a wooden staircase and a Norman window on the south wall
and is thought to have been originally a cell or oratory.
Fittings: Upper chancel chamber: altered and re-set piscina, moved in
C12 alterations. Guard rail - late C12 with simple round arched arcade
on elegant thin stems with crocketed capitals, badly worn. Altar rails,
tower screen (formerly across the chancel) and pulpit are all Jacobean,
circa 1620. Pulpit panelled with strapwork decoration and sounding board
above, all very ornate. Early Norman font: square bowl above a big
circular stem and ring. Chequerboard painting to chancel arch wall.
Stained glass: small trefoil roundel in east wall of lower chapel showing
Virgin and child, possibly C13. Also some fragments of C17 glass remaining.
Monuments: north aisle wall - C14 arched, cusped wall recesses, one
depressed. South porch, west wall: monument to Edward Fulham, Canon of
Windsor. Died 1694, monument erected 1778. Grey stone ground with
white stone apron and Coat of Arms and floral decoration. Garlanded
white stone urn above in Late Palladian style, by Van Gelder.
The church is unique in the South of England and the two storey arrangement
of the chancel is extremely rare.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) pp 166-168
VCH SURREY VOLUME 3
SCHEDULE OF SURREY ANTIQUITIES 1913 pp 19-21
Listing NGR: SU9544647022
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings