This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.0112 / 54°0'40"N
Longitude: -1.4726 / 1°28'21"W
OS Eastings: 434658
OS Northings: 457374
OS Grid: SE346573
Mapcode National: GBR LQ41.ZV
Mapcode Global: WHD9L.BFZS
Entry Name: The Dower House
Listing Date: 5 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1188680
English Heritage Legacy ID: 330723
Location: Knaresborough, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG5
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Knaresborough
Built-Up Area: Knaresborough
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Knaresborough
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 3457 KNARESBOROUGH BOND END
6/60 No 48 (The Dower House)
Dower House, now hotel. Mid C18 with C20 additions. Red brick, Flemish
bond, C20 pantile roof, with 2 eaves courses of stone. 3 storeys, the top
storey false, 7 first-floor windows. Rusticated quoins, limestone plinth.
Central 6-panel door with fanlight; rubbed-brick round arch with keystone.
Flanking and first-floor windows: sashes with glazing bars in flush wood
architraves. Projecting sills, rubbed brick flat arches with keystones.
Second floor: 5 blind windows in tall parapet wall which disguises 3 roof
gables. Top 5 courses of parapet (above blind windows) rebuilt mid C20,
moulded limestone coping. Brick stacks to rear, left and right. Rear:
original rear wall obscured by additional wing for hotel accommodation.
Left return: one inserted sash window with glazing bars, ground floor right.
Right return: random fenestration, C20 frames. Interior: fine C18 staircase
opposite entrance. Turned balusters and newels, ramped handrail. The
building was the Dower house of the Slingsby family of Knaresborough and
Scriven. It was greatly extended in 1970-80, when the stable block was also
converted to hotel use.
Listing NGR: SE3465857374
Other nearby listed buildings