This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2207 / 51°13'14"N
Longitude: -0.5305 / 0°31'49"W
OS Eastings: 502720
OS Northings: 147855
OS Grid: TQ027478
Mapcode National: GBR GF3.JNY
Mapcode Global: VHFVN.RLD3
Entry Name: Chilworth Manor
Listing Date: 14 June 1967
Last Amended: 21 May 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1188708
English Heritage Legacy ID: 288346
Location: St. Martha, Guildford, Surrey, GU4
Civil Parish: St. Martha
Built-Up Area: Chilworth
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
TQ 04 NW ST MARTHA CP BLACKSMITHS LANE
4/89 Chilworth Manor
14.6.67 (formerly listed
under Halfpenny Lane)
House. Built in three stages - mid C17 range to south, possibly for
Vincent Randyll, with C18 range to north joined by range to centre, circa
1930 by Alfred Mildmay. Sandstone rubble with brick dressings to south
and centre portion, cement rendered on north end. Plain tiled roofs,
hipped to south.
South range (entrance front) : Two storeys on brick plinth with brick
plat band over ground floor and brick dentilled eaves. Brick frontispiece
rising to Dutch, dentilled gable to left of centre. Rear stacks to left
and right, larger to right with corbelled top. Regular front of four
casements under 4-centred, arched, stone surrounds and gauged brick heads
on each floor. Frontispiece with pilasters to both floors and central
first floor window under roundel. Stone door surround to ground floor
with pedestal pilasters flanking. Scroll brackets in entablature and
brick keystone above double panelled doors. C19 extension to right end,
single storey with attic under gabled dormers.
Left hand return front (west side): Recessed link between range to right
and C18 range to left. Single storey and attic under three gabled, through-
eaves, stone dormers with three casement doors below. Stacks to each
end. Two windows on each floor of south facing side of left hand block,
two windows on north facing side of right hand block. Glazing bar sash
windows to left hand (C18) block, tripartite window to ground floor left,
casements to right.
Rear (north facade): Two storeys, refaced in C19. Ionic pilasters to
first floor in irregular pattern with cornice parapet. Two glazing bar
sash windows and one blocked window to first floor. Casement doors below.
Interior: Some early C18 panelling on stairs and late C18 metal balustrade.
The house was once owned by Sarah, 1st Duchess of Marlborough, who is
thought to have ordered the C18 extensions to the north.
Country Life articles: November 10 and November 17 1955.
PEVSNER: Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) page 156.
Listing NGR: TQ0272047855
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings