History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gate, Gate Piers and Flanking Walls Approximately 80 Metres to South of Conyngham Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Knaresborough, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0107 / 54°0'38"N

Longitude: -1.4785 / 1°28'42"W

OS Eastings: 434276

OS Northings: 457312

OS Grid: SE342573

Mapcode National: GBR LQ32.Q0

Mapcode Global: WHD9L.8G75

Entry Name: Gate, Gate Piers and Flanking Walls Approximately 80 Metres to South of Conyngham Hall

Listing Date: 12 December 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1188712

English Heritage Legacy ID: 330726

Location: Knaresborough, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG5

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Knaresborough

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Knaresborough

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Knaresborough

Listing Text

SE 3457 KNARESBOROUGH BOND END
(west side, off)

6/63 Gates, gate piers and
flanking walls
approximately 80 metres
to south of Conyngham
Hall (q.v.)

GV II

Gates, gate piers and flanking walls. Late C18 or mid C19. Wrought-iron
gates, ashlar piers and walls. Double gates, approximately 2.5 metres high
at centre and ramped down to short railings fastened to piers, have spear-
headed dog-bars, elaborate C and S scrolls and monogram 'E C C' in centre of
each leaf. Gate piers: square in section, approximately 3 metres high, with
plinths, 3 projecting bands to each shaft, wreathed shield, cornice and ball
finial. Flanking walls: approximately 1.2 metres high, curving towards
house with plinth, shallow gabled coping, C-scrolls against gate piers, and
end piers with ball finials. The house (q.v.) was originally Coghill Hall;
the name was changed when it was bought by Ellen, Countess of Conyngham in
1796, who restored and enlarged it. The monogram on the gates is probably
hers, but the piers may date from a second major phase of rebuilding in
1856.
H Speight, Nidderdale, 1894, p 312.


Listing NGR: SE3427657312

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.