This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6355 / 51°38'7"N
Longitude: -0.1059 / 0°6'21"W
OS Eastings: 531182
OS Northings: 194659
OS Grid: TQ311946
Mapcode National: GBR GC.MYQ
Mapcode Global: VHGQF.35W3
Entry Name: Church of St Paul
Listing Date: 31 January 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1188729
English Heritage Legacy ID: 200581
Location: Enfield, London, N21
Electoral Ward/Division: Winchmore Hill
Built-Up Area: Enfield
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Paul Winchmore Hill
Church of England Diocese: London
790/11/87 CHURCH HILL N21
31-JAN-74 WINCHMORE HILL
CHURCH OF ST PAUL
Commissioners' Church. 1826-7 by John Davies, refurbished after fire of 1844, Chancel added 1888-89. Yellow brick with stone dressings and shallow pitched roof behind parapet.
EXTERIOR: West front features central gabled porch with crocketted pinnacles fronting stone frontispiece with ogee window rising to a small bellcote flanked by shorter stone pinnacles. This is flanked by thin ogee niches and corner stone crocketted pinnacles. The side elevations have pointed lancets and the main range terminates with pair of similar pinnacles, then the lower Chancel with canted east end.
INTERIOR: Aisless church of one large open space with flat ceiling supported on pierced brackets. To East, high Chancel arch frames central East window of 1892 by Clayton and Bell illustrating the Ascension. Caen stone reredos has Devonshire marble shafts and shelf by Jones and Willis, 1899. Oak pulpit with Gothic canopy. To west end, a full width gallery with 3 bays defined by extremely shallow 4-pointed arches at ground floor and central bay with crocketted pinnacles. Marble octagone font on short clustered shafts with foliate band capitals, of 1892 by T.H. Knight and Sons, Teignmouth. Low South chapel of 1889 has East and South windows by Hardman.
HISTORY: One of the Church Building Commissioners' churches built in the early-C19 to provide for urban growth after the Napoleonic Wars. Site was donated by Walker Gray of Southgate Grove.
Listed as an early-C19 Commissioners' Church that has economical but consistent early-C19 Gothic detailing, and with two later-C19 phases that contribute high quality fittings and decorative schemes.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings