History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lockner Holt

A Grade II Listed Building in St. Martha, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2134 / 51°12'48"N

Longitude: -0.5135 / 0°30'48"W

OS Eastings: 503927

OS Northings: 147072

OS Grid: TQ039470

Mapcode National: GBR GF4.WHY

Mapcode Global: VHFVP.1RXN

Entry Name: Lockner Holt

Listing Date: 21 May 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1188736

English Heritage Legacy ID: 288350

Location: St. Martha, Guildford, Surrey, GU4

County: Surrey

District: Guildford

Civil Parish: St. Martha

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Chilworth

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Chilworth

Listing Text

TQ 04 NW ST MARTHA CP LOCKNER HOLT

4/93 Lockner Holt

II

House, now divided. 1860 by Henry Woodyer for the Duke of Northumberland
in castellated style, extended to left and rear in 1890. Coursed Bargate
stone with sandstone and brick dressings, plain tiled roofs. L-shaped
plan with projecting wing to left and courtyard in re-entrant angle. Two
storeys with attics in stepped gables on left hand wing. Plinth, string
course to base of battlemented parapets and over ground floor. Ridge
stack to centre, front stack to left of centre, ridge stacks on left hand
wing and front end stack to stepped gable to right. Stone dressed,
trefoil-head arched fenestration - mainly three light with two windows
on each floor to right of centre. First floor window over entrance in
angled bay placed diagonally across re-entrant angle. Five light window
to right of door. Circular tower to left of entrance under conical roof
with corbelled eaves. Lancet windows below. Further stone dressed
windows to left on projecting wing. Stone frontispiece to angle bay
across re-entrant angle under string course with crests either side of
pointed arched door under flat hoodmould.

Interior: Plaster ceilings, panelled with foliage decoration in drawing
room. Wooden Gothic style panelling, cusped and panelled ceiling in
billiard room. Siennese marble fireplace in former library with arcaded
panelling. Main stairway with carved newel posts in Gothic style.

Entrance hall: Panelled and containing massive marble fireplace under
complex crocketed and finialled Gothic overmantle. Original door lock
and mechanism survive on main door.


Listing NGR: TQ0392747072

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.