History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fetcham Park House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Mole Valley, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2886 / 51°17'18"N

Longitude: -0.3522 / 0°21'7"W

OS Eastings: 515003

OS Northings: 155674

OS Grid: TQ150556

Mapcode National: GBR 5V.RVN

Mapcode Global: VHFVC.VW51

Entry Name: Fetcham Park House

Listing Date: 7 September 1951

Last Amended: 24 August 1990

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1188810

English Heritage Legacy ID: 290442

Location: Mole Valley, Surrey, KT22

County: Surrey

District: Mole Valley

Town: Mole Valley

Electoral Ward/Division: Fetcham East

Built-Up Area: Leatherhead

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Fetcham

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Bookham

Listing Text

FETCHAM LOWER ROAD
TQ/15/NW & NE (south side, off)
2/55 & 3/55

7.9.51 Fetcham Park House
(formerly listed as
Badingham College)
GV II*

Large house, subsequently school, now offices. 1705-1710, by William Talman,
with interior decoration by Louis Laguerre; altered and enlarged c.1870 by
Edward I'Anson jun. (Pevsner). Red brick in Flemish bond with dressings of
Portland stone, sandstone and terracotta; slate roof, brick chimneys. Rectangular
double-depth plan under 2-span roof, on north-south axis, with additions at both
ends, added porch to the west front and added bay to the east front. Two and a
half storeys over cellars. The west front of the original building now of 4:1:3
bays, with additions of 1 bay to the left and 2 bays to the right; ashlar plinth,
raised rusticated quoins, a string course and sill-band, a similar string course
above 1st floor, a frieze of terracotta swags, and prominent bracketed eaves; the
5th bay now has a prominent rectangular 2½-storey porch of sandstone ashlar at
ground floor and brick above, which has a round-headed doorway with wrought-
iron fanlight (matching wrought-iron screens in windows each side) framed by
Portland stone Corinthian columns with a bowed cornice serving as a balcony to
a tall 1st floor window with segmental-pedimented architrave; and a tall steeply-
pitched pavilion roof containing a window with pedimented sandstone architrave
and above this an oculus with swagged lead surround. In the corner to the right
of the porch is a 1st floor oriel of sandstone; otherwise, all the windows are
sashed without glazing bars and have wooden blind-hoods, those at ground and 1st
floors with gauged brick heads incorporating terracotta keystones, and terracotta
sills and aprons, and those in the attic with architraves matching that in the
porch at this level. Mansard roof with 2 chimneys between the ridges and one at
each end of the original range. Additions in matching style. Three-bay return
walls, that at the south end with a rectangular bay window of ashlar. The east
front (including the additions) is symmetrical, 1:4:3:4:1 bays, the centre with a
semi-circular bay at ground floor, a segmental pediment above the attic
containing an oculus, attic windows arranged 1:2:3:2:1, but otherwise matching
the west front. Interior: almost the whole of the ground floor front is occupied
by a longitudinal entrance hall, the north end of which has an exceptionally fine
early C18 cantilevered open-well staircase with open string, carved brackets
beneath lengthened and overlapped returns from the nosings of the treads, 3
balusters per tread (2 twisted and one fluted), ramped and moulded handrail with
wreathed curtail, and the cyma-moulded soffits to the upper flight, with carved
decoration; the walls and ceiling at this end are filled with large paintings by
Laguerre, but the rest of the walls have painted panels replacing fielded panels
with grisaille painted statues (which have been relocated elsewhere in the house);
and the south end of the hall has a late C19 inserted partition wall with pseudo-
fireplace in Jacobean style; the room opposite the doorway has a circular ceiling
panel painted by Laguerre, with rich moulded plaster surround, and coving also
with vigorous moulded plaster decoration; the late C19 drawing room at the
south end has C18-style plaster work.


Listing NGR: TQ1500355674

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.