This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3739 / 51°22'26"N
Longitude: -0.1002 / 0°6'0"W
OS Eastings: 532325
OS Northings: 165584
OS Grid: TQ323655
Mapcode National: GBR GX.9D7
Mapcode Global: VHGRL.6QVM
Entry Name: Hospital of the Holy Trinity (Whitgift Hospital)
Listing Date: 29 January 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1188846
English Heritage Legacy ID: 201226
Location: Croydon, London, CR0
Electoral Ward/Division: Fairfield
Built-Up Area: Croydon
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Croydon
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
In the entry for NORTH END
Hospital of the Holy Trinity
The previous listing date shall be amended to read 29.1.51
5009 NORTH END
Hospital of the Holy
TQ 3265 9/1 20.5.54
Founded by Archbishop Whitgift (1580-1604) for the use and benefit of the poor, and
built 1596-9. Two-storeys. Red brick with stone dressings and tiled roofs. Quad-
rangular plan. Front has 2-2-2-2-2 stone mullioned windows all in one plane, those
on ground floor having drip-moulds and the end portions being crowned by gables with
stone capping. Three storey central stone-capped gatehouse having round-arched
doorway with pilasters, and entablature with motto, "Qui dat pauperi non indigebit"
under broken pediment enclosing a shield of the Arms of the City of Canterbury. Above
the 2 windows on first floor is a panel bearing mitre in relief. Two single light
stone windows to second floor. Blue brick diaper work and initials to gables. The
George Street front is ungabled and has similar ranges of stone mullioned windows.
Courtyard similar, but with doors of apartments. North End gatehouse has a 4-centred
archway with one window over on each floor and clock in gable. Gatehouse on east side
of courtyard is similar but with a Georgian sash window on the first floor (with
drip-mould raised in the centre and enclosing a mitre). Plain gable. The almshouses
were extensively restored in 1860 by Butterfield, and the upper parts of the North End
front and the chimneystacks date from this time. Interiors contain panelling.
Chapel in North East corner has 3-light Gothic window with traceried head given by a
citizen of York in 1597 and panelling of 1640.
Listing NGR: TQ3233765605
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings