This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0814 / 53°4'52"N
Longitude: -2.1087 / 2°6'31"W
OS Eastings: 392812
OS Northings: 353800
OS Grid: SJ928538
Mapcode National: GBR 24S.TYX
Mapcode Global: WHBCG.LT13
Entry Name: Church of St Luke
Listing Date: 15 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1188903
English Heritage Legacy ID: 274624
Location: Endon and Stanley, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST9
District: Staffordshire Moorlands
Civil Parish: Endon and Stanley
Built-Up Area: Stoke-on-Trent
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Endon St Luke
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
ENDON & STANLEY C.P. ENDON BANK
SJ 95 SW
- Church of St Luke
Parish church. Tower C17, the remainder 1876-9 by Beardmore. Coursed
squared and dressed sandstone; slate, red and blue tile roofs; verge
parapets, chancel with gabletted kneelers. Tower, north and south aisles,
south porch, nave, chancel. Tower: simple C17 work of 3 stages without
buttresses; cavetto string under crenellated parapet with short crocketed
pinnacles at angles; paired round-arch bell chamber openings; steps on
west face to segmental-headed, boarded door, single-light window over.
South aisle: 3 bays, on plinth, 3- and 2-light segmental-headed windows
with pointed trefoil-headed lights, gabled porch to west side of south
face; double chamfered labelled pointed arch. North aisle: similar to
south, of 3 bays of 3-light windows. Nave: has eaves set above aisles
and slate roof of awkwardly low pitch. Chancel: very typical of
Beardmore's work in the area, 1 1/2 bays (red tile roof with crested ridge)
labelled segmental-headed 4-light window similar to aisles; 3-light,
pointed east window headed by cinquefoil; gabled vestry to north side.
Interior: arcades of 3 bays of round columns and pointed arches; pointed
chancel arch on corbelled columns below imposts; fine Minton encaustic
tile floor to nave; king post, tie beam roof, trussed rafters to chancel.
Font: stone, octagonal, on marble legs; small oak fretted and cusped
ogee spire cover. Pulpit: 3-sided bay set against chancel; columnated
and heavily carved; on stone base. Glass: east window by Morris & Co,
1893. Memorials: Heaton 1824 and Evans 1826 to left of west wall;
tapered marble plaques on slate grounds; under left-hand is a small
multi-coloured glazed tile to August Selwyn, first Bishop of New Zealand.
Listing NGR: SJ9281253800
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings