This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.266 / 51°15'57"N
Longitude: -0.1535 / 0°9'12"W
OS Eastings: 528920
OS Northings: 153494
OS Grid: TQ289534
Mapcode National: GBR JHP.J0Z
Mapcode Global: VHGS4.9F6T
Entry Name: The Old Forge
Listing Date: 19 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1188930
English Heritage Legacy ID: 289398
Location: Reigate and Banstead, Surrey, RH1
District: Reigate and Banstead
Town: Reigate and Banstead
Electoral Ward/Division: Merstham
Built-Up Area: Redhill
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Merstham
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
The Old Forge
TQ 2853 NE 2/103 19.10.51.
TQ 2853 SE 3/103
The northern bay of this house is the remains of a late mediaeval house of greater
extent, being a gabled cross-wing, timber framed and with later brick filling.
1st floor oversailing on exposed joists with curved brackets. Tile hung gable
end. Ground floor window incorporates old brackets in the heads. There are 2
service doors in the inner wall. 2-storey, 3-window south extension in keeping;
and later left rear extensions. High pitched tiled roofs. In early C20 the house
was occupied by Seymour Hicks and Ellaline Terriss when they were playing in "Quality
Street" by J M Barrie. The street, formerly part of the High Street, was then
named after the play.
Listing NGR: TQ2892353501
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings