This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.3873 / 54°23'14"N
Longitude: -1.318 / 1°19'4"W
OS Eastings: 444388
OS Northings: 499307
OS Grid: SE443993
Mapcode National: GBR MK7Q.G1
Mapcode Global: WHD7Q.QZLH
Entry Name: The Cleveland Tontine Inn
Listing Date: 5 May 1952
Last Amended: 30 October 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1188957
English Heritage Legacy ID: 333117
Location: Ingleby Arncliffe, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, DL6
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Ingleby Arncliffe
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Ingleby Arncliffe All Saints
Church of England Diocese: York
INGLEB" ARNCLIFFE A19 East side
SE 49 NW
13/59 The Cleveland
5/5/52 Tontine Inn
(formerly listed as
The Old Tontine Inn)
Inn, 1802 on the new turnpike road from Yarm to Thirsk (now part
of the A19) Erected by public subscription. West wing later C19.
Original building coursed finely-tooled sandstone; wing herringbone-
tooled and margined sandstone with rear extension now whitewashed.
Lakeland slate roofs, stone stacks.
Main south front 2 storeys and basement 5 bays, symmetrical.
Central perron to half-glazed 6-panel double door with radial
fanlight in archivolt. Pedimented doorcase with engaged columns;
tripartite window above. Flanking original 16-pane sashes on both
floors. Replaced similar sashes in canted outer bays rising through
basement and ground floor; similar single sashes above. Fairly
low-pitched hipped roof with corniced stacks at ends of ridge.
Left return has 3 original and one replaced similar sashes.
West wing has gable end to road, one wide bay. Stone mullioned-and-
transomed windows including ground-floor canted bay. Wrought iron
sign bracket at first floor right.
Interior shows 3 bolection-moulded stone fireplaces with original
iron grates, moulded cornices, panelled window shutters, doors of 6
fielded panels and a landing window with interlaced head. In
basement bar a large stone fireplace of c.1600 brought from elsewhere.
The Tontine became a private house in the 1930s but reverted to its
original use after the war.
Listing NGR: SE4438899307
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings