This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1136 / 52°6'49"N
Longitude: -1.0533 / 1°3'12"W
OS Eastings: 464921
OS Northings: 246568
OS Grid: SP649465
Mapcode National: GBR 9W8.JHQ
Mapcode Global: VHCW6.P4HJ
Entry Name: The Old Reading Room
Listing Date: 1 December 1951
Last Amended: 14 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1189043
English Heritage Legacy ID: 235035
Location: Abthorpe, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN12
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Abthorpe
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Abthorpe St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
ABTHORPE THE GREEN
SP6446 (North side)
14/17 The Old Reading Room
01/12/51 (Formerly listed as House, now
used as Church Rooms)
House. Dated 1682, renovated C20. Coursed squared limestone, old plain-tile
roof, stone end stacks. 2-unit plan. 2 storeys and attic; 2-window range.
Entrance front has C20 door to left with stone lintel, keyblock and hood mould.
Small window to left of door with chamfered stone surround. 3-light chamfered
stone mullion windows to ground and first floors with hood moulds. C20
extensions to left end. Stone-coped gable with kneelers to right. Right gable
end faces street and has 4-light chamfered stone mullion window with hood mould
to ground floor, a similar 3-light window to first floor, similar 2-light window
to attic and datestone above inscribed IKH/1682. C20 additions to left gable
end. Interior has stone bolection-moulded corner fireplace. Until recently used
as parish rooms.
Listing NGR: SP6492146568
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings