History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Ruston Hospital

A Grade II Listed Building in Northallerton, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3414 / 54°20'28"N

Longitude: -1.4347 / 1°26'5"W

OS Eastings: 436847

OS Northings: 494124

OS Grid: SE368941

Mapcode National: GBR LLF7.5J

Mapcode Global: WHD81.X4ZP

Entry Name: The Ruston Hospital

Listing Date: 9 December 1969

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1189057

English Heritage Legacy ID: 332805

Location: Northallerton, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, DL7

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton

Civil Parish: Northallerton

Built-Up Area: Northallerton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Northallerton All Saints

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Northallerton

Listing Text

NORTHALLERTON HIGH STREET
SE 3694-3794
(east side)
6/11 No 78 (The Rutson Hospital)
9.12.69
GV II

House, now hospital. Early and mid C18, of two builds, with later alterations.
Rendered, pantile roof. 2 storeys, 2:5 bays. On ground floor to left, ashlar
quoined, basket-arched doorway to passage. 4-pane sash windows with exposed flush
sash boxes, on first floor in 3rd-7th bays set higher than those in first 2 bays.
Shaped kneeler and ashlar coping between 2nd and 3rd bay; large ridge stack in 3rd
bay. Interior: ground-floor room in 6th and 7th bays has early C18 dado and wooden
fielded panels separated by fluted pilasters which break forward on cornice, fielded
panel window shutters, round-arched door of 6 fielded panels, and simple fire
surround with egg-and-dart motif flanked by round-arched cupboards with leaved
fielded panel doors and keyed architraves; at rear, early-mid C18 open-well stair-
case with column-on-vase turned balusters, three per step, and wreathed handrail.
No 78 was the home of Robert Raikes Fulthorpe Esq, and called Vine House, having
in 1789 the largest vine in England, 137 square yards in extend, with a trunk
circumference of almost 4 feet. The Quarter Sessions were held here 1720-70, in
the mid C19 it became the Post Office, and in 1877 a cottage hospital.
Rev J L Saywell, The History and Annals of Northallerton (1885), pp 141, 200,
appendix px; VCH i, p 420.


Listing NGR: SE3684794124

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.