This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0267 / 53°1'35"N
Longitude: -1.9603 / 1°57'37"W
OS Eastings: 402760
OS Northings: 347707
OS Grid: SK027477
Mapcode National: GBR 372.96W
Mapcode Global: WHBCX.V6Q1
Entry Name: Tramway Terminus (That Part in Ipstones Civil Parish) and Retaining Walls Approximately 20 Metres East of Head of Caldon Canal
Listing Date: 15 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1189068
English Heritage Legacy ID: 274698
Location: Ipstones, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST10
District: Staffordshire Moorlands
Civil Parish: Ipstones
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Foxt St Mark the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
IPSTONES C.P. CALDON CANAL, Froghall
SK 04 NW
10/206 Tramway terminus (that
- part in Ipstones C.P.)
and retaining walls
approx. 20m east of
head of Caldon Canal
Retaining walls to former tramway terminus. Circa 1783. Rock-faced
ashlar approximately 8m high x 40m. Slightly corbelled out at coping;
2 buttresses to left, either side of small round-arch water channel;
further round arch to centre; retaining wall ramped down on right
side in a concave curve. The tramway was built to bring down lime-
stone from Caldon Low to the canal. It was originally conceived to
run the canal up to the quarry; the gradient however being so
considerable must have determined that the tramway should be built.
The terminus forms a close group with Froghall Forge (q.v.),
warehouse (q.v.) and canal bridge (q.v.).
Listing NGR: SK0276047707
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings