History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

North Bridge

A Grade II Listed Building in Ashton, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4882 / 52°29'17"N

Longitude: -0.4618 / 0°27'42"W

OS Eastings: 504544

OS Northings: 288924

OS Grid: TL045889

Mapcode National: GBR FXQ.XSD

Mapcode Global: VHFNH.YQ7D

Entry Name: North Bridge

Listing Date: 7 June 1974

Last Amended: 25 January 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1189074

English Heritage Legacy ID: 232566

Location: Ashton, East Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, PE8

County: Northamptonshire

District: East Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Ashton

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Oundlew Ashton

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Oundle

Listing Text

ASHTON STATION ROAD
TLO8NW Oundle
8/11 North Bridge (that part in
07/06/74 Ashton C.P.)
(Formerly listed as North
- Bridge)
II

Bridge. C14 origins, rebuilt 1571, 1835 and 1912. Squared coursed and rusticated
limestone, with ashlar facing to inside of parapets, and granite dressings. 13
semi-circular arches with moulded granite keyblocks. First and seventh arches
from north end, on west side, have no keyblocks and incorporate visible remains
of earlier bridges. 5 cutwaters with refuges at north end and 2 similar
cutwaters at south end, all on east side. Plain parapet with moulded coping and
square piers at ends. Gateway to centre of east side has similar piers. Reset
copy of tablet on west side discovered in 1835 has inscription, "In the yer of
oure Lord 1570 thes arches wer borne downe by the waters externytit. In the yer
of oure Lord 1571 they were builded agayn with lyme and stone. Thanks be to
God". Inscribed tablet, also on west side, records rebuilding and widening in
1912-14.

Listing NGR: TL0454488924

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.