This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3404 / 51°20'25"N
Longitude: -0.3897 / 0°23'22"W
OS Eastings: 512264
OS Northings: 161379
OS Grid: TQ122613
Mapcode National: GBR 4X.8G1
Mapcode Global: VHFV5.6KCS
Entry Name: Benfleet Hall
Listing Date: 4 February 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1189134
English Heritage Legacy ID: 286735
Location: Elmbridge, Surrey, KT11
Electoral Ward/Division: Oxshott and Stoke D'Abernon
Built-Up Area: Cobham (Elmbridge)
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Cobham
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
TQ 16SW BOROUGH OF ELMBRIDGE GREEN LANE
5/156 No.23(Benfleet Hall)
House, now divided. 1860, extended in 1886 by Philip Webb for Spencer Stanhope. Red
brick with steep plain tiled roofs, some hipped and half-hipped . Ridge stack to
left, 3 rear stacks and large stack to left of centre. Asymmetrical, mainly 3 storeys.
Court front: salient features include a single storey range with attic under hipped
roof dormer to left, end bay projecting with angle bay window. Cambered head window
to right under pointed arch with herringbone brick infill. Square wooden bellcote
with pyramidal roof and weathervane on ridge of end bay to left. 2 storey range
to right with attic in half timbered gable with dentilled bargeboards. Hipped roof
dormers to either side with irregular fenestration of cambered head windows in
pointed arched surrounds. Arched 3-step surround to main door, left of centre.
Rear: projecting single storey gable front bay, half timbered above with large stack
to left, inscription over ground floor to left.
Right hand return front: Inscribed foundation stone placed by Viscount Mountmares in
1886 to extension.
Stanhope, the patron was associated with Morris and Co and the Arts Crafts Movement
at the Oxford Union project.
Contract drawings dated 1860 and 1864 are contained in the V&A print room.
Listing NGR: TQ1226461379
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings