History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Birds House

A Grade II Listed Building in Greens Norton, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1382 / 52°8'17"N

Longitude: -1.0225 / 1°1'21"W

OS Eastings: 466996

OS Northings: 249332

OS Grid: SP669493

Mapcode National: GBR 9VY.SDD

Mapcode Global: VHDSH.7J95

Entry Name: Birds House

Listing Date: 14 December 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1189183

English Heritage Legacy ID: 235088

Location: Greens Norton, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN12

County: Northamptonshire

District: South Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Greens Norton

Built-Up Area: Greens Norton

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Greens Norton St Bartholomew

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Towcester

Listing Text

GREENS NORTON BENGAL LANE
SP6649, SP64NE (West side)
11/69, 6/69 No. 26 (Birds House)

GV II

House. Dated 1666 with C18 and C20 alterations. Coursed squared limestone,
banded with ironstone, and with ironstone dressings, red brick in Flemish bond
with flared headers, plain-tile roof, stone end and ridge stacks. 2-unit plan. 2
storeys and attic; 2-window range. Central C20 door in pegged wood surround with
stop-chamfered wood lintel to right. 3-light hollow-chamfered leaded stone
mullion windows to ground and first floors both with hood moulds. Gabled dormer
window above, with similar 3-light window, central light stepped up and with
stepped hood mould. Small rectangular window with chamfered stone surround to
far right. Similar blocked window above door. Bay to left of centre is faced
with brick on stone plinth and has 2-light leaded casement window to ground
floor with HL hinges and 3-light leaded casement to first floor, both with wood
lintels. Quoins and stone-coped gables with kneelers. Stone flues have chamfered
bases and cornices; end stack to right with stone below cornice inscribed B/HM
and another above base inscribed 1666. Interior has stop-chamfered spine beams
and open fireplace with bar-stop-chamfered bressumer. Collar truss roof.


Listing NGR: SP6699649332

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.