History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Courteenhall House and Attached Offices

A Grade II* Listed Building in Courteenhall, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1712 / 52°10'16"N

Longitude: -0.8881 / 0°53'17"W

OS Eastings: 476140

OS Northings: 253132

OS Grid: SP761531

Mapcode National: GBR BX1.Y0D

Mapcode Global: VHDSC.KPCD

Entry Name: Courteenhall House and Attached Offices

Listing Date: 23 August 1955

Last Amended: 15 March 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1189193

English Heritage Legacy ID: 234862

Location: Courteenhall, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN7

County: Northamptonshire

District: South Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Courteenhall

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Courteenhall

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Roade

Listing Text

SP 75 SE COURTEENHALL

5/39 Courteenhall House and
23/08/55 attached offices
(Formerly listed as
Courteenhall House)

GV II*


Country House. Built 1791-93 by Samuel Saxon for Sir William Wake, 9th baronet.
Limestone ashlar - local limestone with Weldon stone dressings - hipped slate
roof, brick lateral and ridge stacks. Modified double-pile plan. Neo-classical
style. 3 storeys and basement. 5-bay entrance front has central part-glazed
double-leaf doors, approached by 5 stone steps in moulded wood surround with
overlight, flanked by three-quarter Tuscan columns and narrow 8-pane sash
windows. Blank panel above door, plain frieze either side with dentilled
cornice, door and side windows within shallow segmental-headed recess. 12-pane
sash windows to ground floor in similar recesses, all with moulded stone
surrounds on brackets with paterae. Similar sashes to 1st floor with flat-arched
heads. 6-pane sashes to basement and attic floors. Weldon stone plinth. Central
bays break forward and ground floor arches linked by cornice moulding with
plain frieze moulding to piers. First floor sill band, dentilled stone eaves
cornice and blocking cornice. Steps flanked by low stone plinths bearing
cast-iron standard lamps with circular globes and finials. 7-bay garden front
has similar set of sash windows, those to ground floor of 3-bay centre flanked
by Ionic columns with plain frieze and dentilled cornice, and all set within
segmental-headed recesses. Centre breaks forward and has low pediment with
oeil-de-boeuf window. Left side elevation of 5 bays has similar sets of sash
windows and central part-glazed door to library with pedimented stone surround
and approached by low double-armed stone stairs with elliptical-arched window
below landing with cast-iron grille. Central 3 bays break forward and have
pediment. Right side elevation has flat-arched sash windows, those either end
blank and central single-storey link corridor to offices and kitchen court.
Attached offices of one storey and attic with hipped slate roofs surround 3
sides of courtyard, the 4th side enclosed by single-storey segmental arms
flanking carriage-way. Offices include former kitchen and laundry. Square
louvred cupola to range facing garden with gilded ball finial and weathervane.
Main range has very deep bracketed eaves to courtyard and 6-pane sash windows.
Interior: hall has chequered stone paving with black diamond insets and 3-bay
column screen at inner end with Roman Doric columns. Plaster frieze with
garlanded paterae. Dining Room has plaster frieze with vine garlands and panels
with playing cherubs in low relief. Column screen to inner end wall with
Corinthian columns. Central sideboard recess within screen with
elliptical-arched head filled with plasterwork fan motif. Library has segmental
apse to inner end wall with 2 curved niches, each with pair of fluted columns
with capitals based on those of the Tower of the Winds in Athens; open lunettes
above entablature and scalloped coves. Fitted bookshelves. Plaster panels above
and plaster anthemion frieze. Staircase hall has stone cantilever open well
staircase with simple iron balustrade with anthemion and mahogany ramped and
wreathed handrail. Original marbled walls and glazed oval dome. Spinal 2-storey
corridor to first floor with similar glazed oval dome and internal sash windows
lighting attic corridors. Round-arched recesses frame doors to principal
bedrooms either side. Seat of the Wakes.
(Landscaped Park, by Repton, included in the H.B.M.C. Register of Parks and
Gardens of special historic interest at Grade II; Country Life, 12-19 August
1939; R. Richardson 'New Vitruvins Britannicus' 1810 plates 67-70)


Listing NGR: SP7614053132

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.