This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4323 / 51°25'56"N
Longitude: -0.544 / 0°32'38"W
OS Eastings: 501308
OS Northings: 171367
OS Grid: TQ013713
Mapcode National: GBR GBL.19L
Mapcode Global: VHFTP.J87C
Entry Name: Church of Saint John the Baptist
Listing Date: 11 July 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1189321
English Heritage Legacy ID: 289695
Location: Runnymede, Surrey, TW20
Electoral Ward/Division: Egham Town
Built-Up Area: Egham
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Egham
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
TQ 07 SW EGHAM HIGH STREET
Church of Saint John
11.7.51 the Baptist
Church 1817-1820 by Henry Rhodes in the style of Soane. Stone dressing, stock
brick infill, slate roof. West Elevation: Two storey portico of shallow
projection. 4 Doric pilasters on tall plinths. Simple stone pediment with
acroteria. Centra bay - double panelled entrance doors with sub-order and
pediment. Doric pilasters without bases and half pilaster returns and at sides
of main pilasters. Two steps. Blind parapet above with inset half balusters
and blocks. Semicircular window of small leaded lights with bracketed pediment
over. Moulded architraves with similar moulded frieze. Shoulder blocks at base.
Yellow brick infill panels at sides. Bays to right and left. Similar sub-order
of half pilasters. No pediment but balusters and window over. Windows in brick
recessed arch. Doors below smaller with moulded stone lintel, brick panel over.
Tower: Rises above main pediment on rectangular plan with inset quadrant corners.
Brick base, projecting stone moulding, string course. Doric order with shallow
pediment supported on coupled pilasters on four faces. 45 degree splay corners. Above
pediment elliptical drum with simple coping. Louvred panel between pilasters
and clock face with gilt figures. Hemispherical stone dome surmounted by stone
finials of formalised entablature. Wrought iron weathervane, slender baluster
with gilt knob. Simple gilt vane with arrowhead and tail with voluted edges.
South Elevation: Main cornice and plinth carried through with shallow projecting
end pavilions. Linked to ends with quadrant plan corners. End pavilions have
segmented arches and keystone in plinth and semicircular grille to crypt. Full
height pilasters with recessed three-quarter pilasters. Plain segmental brick
arch headed windows with small panes at ground floor level. Centre mullions.
Stone band course, bracket and recessed supporting window. This has sub-order,
shallow pediment. Doric pilasters, small panes and centre mullion stone scroll
in recess under window. Brick surrounding panel. Centre of elevation ground
floor, 5 windows similar. The east window and the west window in the pavilion
now have stained glass. The 5 stained glass windows above have recessed brick
semicircular heads supported on continuous coping with full balusters below
windows. The stone band under the coping breaks round piers. Below centre win-
dows stepped entrance to crypt. Plain spear head iron railings. North
elevation: Only one window at west end of centre is stained glass. Remainder
have centre mullion and 72 small panes. East elevation: Main pilasters return
at corners central projecting chancel with piers in angles and pedimented coping
over east end. Main order follows breaks. Three blind recessed openings with
semicircular heads on chancel end. Single similar opening on nave ends. Two
projecting wings single storey, linked to church by recess on north wall with
segmental brick arch over door with stone pilasters and cornice. Stone tympanum
steps. Plain stock brick wall. Return ends contain two semicircular leaded
small pane windows. Single storey link between wings, C20 metal windows. South
wing on south elevation recessed panel and projecting porch. Panelled and
studded door, stone steps. Chancel: Segmental chancel arch with beam beyond,
indirect top lighting beyond. Pilasters with depressed Corinthian capitals and
consoles below beam, Greek entablature on beam and walls over altar. Coupled
quarter pilasters in corners. East wall centre panel mural by Hans Feibusch
1951; wood panel, each side written 10 commandments. Wall memorials south of
chancel. Top - Hannae Augustus Gostling 1837 - tablet and two angels over.
Below, Benjamin Newcombe 1818 by Baily. Inscription on pedestal, urn on half
column, female figure with anchor, slate backing. North side George Gostling
1854. Inscription tablet, sarcophagus, and three angels by E H Baily. Below
George Gostling 1820. Inscription, pedestal column and portrait figure by
Flaxman R A. Altar: Simple white marble, gilt centre inlay, C20 oak altar rail.
South of chancel memorial John Harris 1817, Greek, bracket, tablet, arms and
inscription above. Nave: Gallery on sides and west end. 5 bays, plain entabla-
ture columns, rectangular on plan. Elongated Greek pediment over entrance.
Small organ case above with upper choir gallery each side, turned wood balusters.
Inverted lamp bowl on shaft above each column. Flat ceiling, raised centre
panel, curved ends. 3 rosettes over ventilators. Main wall cornice follows
ceiling curves at corners. Plain wood pews. Lectern: Turned brass column with
eagle. Pulpit: Plain octagonal oak on column with sounding board from Little
Livermore, Suffolk. Font: Simple white marble bowl on octagonal column.
Memorials: North aisle east. Floor slab Robert Forster 1663, inscription only.
On east wall above slate inscription tablet supporting central elliptical recess
with bust, arms each side and above. All coloured. To left small brass 1576
Anthony Bond, line drawing of four figures and altar above inscription. North
wall, east to west. Tablet with framing inscription Richard Kellofet 1595.
John Knowles 1810 simple Greek tablet. Framed oil painting remains of original
reredos painting by F Westall RA. Painted Royal Coat of Arms 1660. South east
end, Sir Frederick Hervey Bathurst 1824. Slate tablet, architectural frame.
Coloured arms over. Lady Freemantle 1841 by R Brown, slate backing, white
marble tablet carved bracket Greek cresting. South aisles: From west to east.
Sir Felton Elwill Bathurst Hervey 1819 served at Waterloo, Greek architectural
frame medals and militaria above in white marble. Amelia Anne Liptrott 1793,
plain white marble on slate. Sarah Honeywood 7 years 1750 ornate shroud and
cherubs, marble. East wall. Foundation stone from earlier church inscription
saying chancel rebuilt by Abbot Rutherwyke of Chertsey 1327. In floor carved
slate tablet heraldic motif. Two stained glass windows by Moore and Son 1910.
Gallery level: On south 4 stained glass windows removed from Coopers Hill
College Chapel, Renaissance design with clear background. 2 similar windows
on north. In memory Arthur Sullivan 1852-1885 and Philip Henry Bowen 1887.
East end north side, Challoner Bisse 1828 Greek sarcophagus on slate base.
N Torin, tablet on brackets over arms above drapes and inscription 1828. Revell
1808 tablet urn over. Anne Stewart Greek tablet on brackets. North staircase:
East wall benefactors board. West wall diamond painted arms. South wall,
Denham memorial, architectural frame, centre ellipse. Portrait busts of two
women and child all painted. South staircase: Painted coat of arms. Sir John
Denham memorial 1638. Sir John rising from grave in winding sheet over charnel
house of skeletons. 2 Corinthian columns, angels above entablature, Latin
inscription painted. Stairs: Both stairs divide at bottom to centre and side
lobbies, map stick rail and plain iron bars. Vaults: Whole of church built over
vaults of varying shapes. Some coffins moved. Other vaults with wood and iron
doors. Main door now removed. Massive oak door, metal backing. Semicircular
cast iron grille, 2 heavy iron bolts. In lane to east, brick wall with arched
opening, formerly led to stable for priests horse with access stairs to vestry
Listing NGR: TQ0130871367
Other nearby listed buildings