History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Deanery House

A Grade II Listed Building in Godalming, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1864 / 51°11'11"N

Longitude: -0.6155 / 0°36'55"W

OS Eastings: 496858

OS Northings: 143935

OS Grid: SU968439

Mapcode National: GBR FD2.F7H

Mapcode Global: VHFVT.8FZT

Entry Name: Deanery House

Listing Date: 18 December 1947

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1189464

English Heritage Legacy ID: 291341

Location: Godalming, Waverley, Surrey, GU7

County: Surrey

District: Waverley

Civil Parish: Godalming

Built-Up Area: Godalming

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Godalming

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Godalming

Listing Text

GODALMING CHURCH STREET
SU 9643 NE
(east side)
12/70
No 24 (Deanery House)
18.12.47
GV
II

House, now with dental surgery and physiotherapy treatment room. Mid-late Cl9.
Stucco, concealed roof. 3 storeys, 3 bays. Moulded plinth; giant corner
pilasters with acanthus capitals and leafy consoles flanking cornice, with
floral bosses between modillions, and parapet. Ground floor: two round-arched
end doorways with tripartite keystones to archivolts, doors of 6 sunk panels
(right door with replacement small-pane upper part) and fanlights with decora-
tive iron glazing bars (those on right removed); central canted bay window
having 4-pane sashes with low, decorative, iron rails in front and tripartite
keystones, panelled frieze continued above doorways, and blocking course. First
floor: sill band; 4-pane sash flanked by tripartite sashes (2-pane sashes flank-
ing central 4-pane sash) all in architraves with decorative console brackets to
cornice. Swept apron panels link first and second floor windows, the upper
windows with similar sashes and shouldered, reeded, architraves. Rear: 2 wings
with later infill and extension of right-hand wing; a number of sashes with
glazing bars in reveals with cambered brick arches.


Listing NGR: SU9685843931

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.