This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1218 / 54°7'18"N
Longitude: -1.3283 / 1°19'41"W
OS Eastings: 443997
OS Northings: 469761
OS Grid: SE439697
Mapcode National: GBR MN5S.66
Mapcode Global: WHD92.KNPH
Entry Name: Helperby Hall Forecourt Railings to Street and Forecourt Wall to North
Listing Date: 28 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1189496
English Heritage Legacy ID: 333385
Location: Helperby, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, YO61
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Helperby
Built-Up Area: Helperby
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Brafferton St Peter
Church of England Diocese: York
SE 4369 and SE 46 NW HELPERBY MAIN STREET
9 and 4/41 (west side)
forecourt railings to
street and forecourt wall
Manor house of Coates family. 1709 and 1889 on rainwater head of part now
known as the 'Old Hall' ie the southernmost range nearest the street. This
C18 house was altered in the late C19 and extended to the rear to form a
U-shape of 6 bays 2:2:2 to the south. The turreted entrance wing to the
north is dated 1923 by Pevsner. The northernmost, Dutch gabled, range is
dated 1914 by Helperby Estate. Victorian and Edwardian work by Charles
Sayer (Pevsner). The C18 facade, altered late C19, is of reddish-brown
brick with 1st floor band. Stone modillion eaves cornice and hipped green
slate roof with 3 pedimented dormers and tall chimney. 2 storeys, 3 bays.
C19 full height canted bays to each side have sash windows with glazing
bars. Segmental stone steps to central entrance. C20 door, oblong fanlight.
C19 doorcase of Ionic columns, frieze and dentilled cornice. Above, a sash
window with glazing bars in a flush wood architrave with gauged red brick
flat arch. Interior: back staircase probably early C18 in oak with closed
string, turned balusters and square newels. Wrought iron forecourt
railings on dwarf brick wall with stone coping. Brick gatepiers with stone
ball finials. North extension in red brick has turreted entrance with stone
Doric portico with frieze and attic under segmental pediment. Northernmost
wing has square tower with cupola and Dutch gabled facade. Casement windows
with leaded lights. Pair of wrought-iron gates and railings on dwarf wall
to courtyard. Rusticated stone piers with ball finials. Curving brick wall
to north of courtyard in red brick with stepped and cogged coping sloping
to ridge included for group considerations.
Pevsner, N., Yorkshire, The North Riding, 1966, p 189.
Listing NGR: SE4399769760
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings