This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5074 / 51°30'26"N
Longitude: -0.2013 / 0°12'4"W
OS Eastings: 524929
OS Northings: 180257
OS Grid: TQ249802
Mapcode National: GBR C8.MYC
Mapcode Global: VHGQY.GCGR
Entry Name: 3-13, Campden Hill Square W8
Listing Date: 7 November 1984
Last Amended: 29 October 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1189500
English Heritage Legacy ID: 203603
Location: Kensington and Chelsea, London, W8
District: Kensington and Chelsea
Electoral Ward/Division: Campden
Built-Up Area: Kensington and Chelsea
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St George, Campden Hill
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2480 SE CAMPDEN HILL SQUARE, W8
249/24/83 Nos. 3-13 (consec.)
GV 7/11/84 II
11 terrace houses with wrought-iron railings, c1828-40 piecemeal development by Christopher Howey on site laid out for Joshua Flesher Hanson in 1826 and purchased by Rice Ives, wine merchant and speculator, in 1830. Stock brick, with rusticated ground floors, roofs hidden by parapets; brick stacks.
EXTERIOR: 4 storeys high with basements set in sunken areas. All are 2 bays wide, with sashes and glazing bars under gauged brick heads except where noted.
No.4 has been much rebuilt, and some rebuilding also to No.3. Nos.5 & 6 (1830-5) have round-arched doors with pilasters and fanlights, under rusticated keystone, repeated over ground-floor window. No.6 with wrought-iron balcony front and reeded window surrounds to first floor. Wrought-iron plant boxes to second floor. No.7 has simple wrought-iron balcony front, and round arched door. No.8 similar, with anthemion motif to balcony front and fire plaque. Nos. 9-13 completed by 1840. No.9 has round-arched window to ground floor, panelled door with toplight, continuous balcony front to first floor with anthemion motif LCC commemorative plaque to John McDonall Stuart (1815-66), Australian explorer. No.10 has similar balcony and doors. No.11 has the same pattern of door and door surround, but 2 elaborate wrought-iron balcony fronts with the initials ASC. No.12 has a rusticated ground floor, and a panelled door under a 3-part rectangular toplight. The basement, ground floor and first floor refenestrated with square windows. No.13 also has a rusticated ground floor. The house is entered from the side, via door with pilaster surround. T o front, ground and first floors have bow, a terminal feature to the terrace and topped with balustrading and cornice -the latter continued round the house. Blind fenestration on side to second and third floors.
INTERIORS: not inspected. Camp den Hill Square is a particularly picturesque and well massed series of terraces rising up a steep hillside. The layout is thought to owe something to Hanson's earlier work in Brighton.
(Source: Survey of London, vol. XXXVII, 1973, pp. 87-93.)
Listing NGR: TQ2492980257
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings