This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4077 / 52°24'27"N
Longitude: -0.4342 / 0°26'3"W
OS Eastings: 506609
OS Northings: 280006
OS Grid: TL066800
Mapcode National: GBR FYX.518
Mapcode Global: VHFNX.FR94
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 23 May 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1189528
English Heritage Legacy ID: 232810
Location: Clopton, East Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN14
District: East Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Clopton
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Clopton St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
CLOPTON MAIN ROAD
TL08SE (South side)
8/87 Church of St. Peter
Church. c.1863 by Richard Armstrong. Squared coursed limestone with plain-tile
roof. Nave, chancel, north aisle, vestry, south porch and west tower; in late
C13 style. South elevation of chancel of 2-window range of 2-light windows with
2-stage buttresses between. Steeply gabled roof with ashlar cornice, gable
parapets and finial. 4-light east window with shafts, cusped circles and carved
label stops. North elevation of chancel of one blank bay. Lean-to vestry is
attached to right, having a 2-light square-head east window and a single lancet
north window. South elevation of nave of 3 bays; 2-window range of 2- and
3-light windows with 2-stage buttresses between. Steeply gabled roof with ashlar
cornice, gable parapets and finials. Gabled porch to left hand bay has roll
moulded outer arch, with one order of shafts and chamfered and moulded inner
doorway. North aisle of 3-window range of 2-light windows with 2-stage,
buttresses between. Steeply gabled roof with ashlar gable parapets and octagonal
flue at apex of east gable. 3-light west window. All windows have cusping or
quatrefoil circles. 3-stage west tower with 3-stage clasping buttresses to
western corners of lower 2 stages. Polygonal stair turret to south face of lower
2 stages. Lancet window in west face of lower stage. Slit windows in north and
south face of second stage. 2-light bell-chamber openings to each face of upper
stage have Y-tracery and lattice stone infill panels. Saddle back roof with
lancets in gables. Ashlar gable parapets, kneelers and finials. Interior: 3-bay
north arcade, to nave, of double-chamfered arches with octagonal and cluster
shafts and polygonal responds. The capitals may incorporate medieval masonry.
Double-chamfered chancel arch with short corbelled colonnettes. Double-chamfered
tower arch with plain responds. Rib vaulted tower ceiling. C19 trussed rafter
and arched-brace truss roofs to nave and chancel. Octagonal font on columns, the
bowl is probably medieval. C19 furnishings. C19 stained glass to east, south and
tower windows. Large painting, depicting Christ on Easter Morning, fixed to the
east wall of north aisle. Monuments: stone coffin, probably c.1300, in north
aisle has fine decorated lid depicting a lion unicorn, vine leaves and birds.
Pair of C16 recumbent effigies alongside, all reset. William Bretor, died 1658,
inscribed tablet to left of altar flanked by ribbons with hour glass and skull
and cross bones. Armorial device above. Dame Judith Williams, died 1754 and
daughter Mary, died 1756, marble tablet in north aisle with 2 medallions and urn
above. Lady Ann Williams, died 1799, oval tablet to left of south door. Various
C19 and C20 tablets.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.151).
Listing NGR: TL0660980006
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings