This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1184 / 51°7'6"N
Longitude: -0.3829 / 0°22'58"W
OS Eastings: 513281
OS Northings: 136701
OS Grid: TQ132367
Mapcode National: GBR HHT.S1H
Mapcode Global: VHFWB.94YY
Entry Name: Ruckman's Farm House
Listing Date: 11 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1189533
English Heritage Legacy ID: 290039
Location: Abinger, Mole Valley, Surrey, RH5
District: Mole Valley
Civil Parish: Abinger
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Ockley, Okewood and Forest Green
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
ABINGER C.P. RUCKMANS LANE
8/69 Ruckman's Farm House
House. C17 with additions of 1894 by Sir Edwin Lutyens for Miss Iyell, further
additions (Music Room) of 1902. Timber frame and brick core with red brick below,
colourwashed to right, with sandstone rubble on square bay to right of centre and
to ground floor of right hand wing, tile hung above on main range. Music room
extension to left of sandstone rubble with red brick angle quoins and tile-on-
edge dressings. Half-hipped Horsham slab roof to centre, hipped tiled roofs to
ends. E-shaped plan with extensions to ends enclosing entrance courtyard. Two
storeys to centre with coved eaves, 3 storeys on gabled square-bay to right of
centre. Two storey extensions dropping to single storey to right, Music Room one
storey over sloping basement where ground drops away. Multiple stacks on cross
ridge plinth to left, further stacks at junction with right hand wing and to rear.
Oversailing gable on roof to left. Three, 3-light first floor windows, two to left
diamond-pane, two windows to ground floor and one continuous 5-light window across
each floor of the gabled bay to right of centre. Ribbed door to left with flanking
diamond-pane single lights under flat hood. Gable end wing projects to right with
one 4-light window on the return wall and a projecting first floor. Square bay
window on ground floor. One 4-light, leaded, window to first floor of gable end,
door in flanking light and window below. Two windows in flat roofed extension to
right. Pentice extension to left connecting by a corridor to the Music Room,
projecting to left end. Tile-on-edge band to basement, deep brick decorated eaves
above. Two diagonal stacks on offset plinth to front left of centre with part crow-
stepped and decorated with tile-on-edge. Round arched door in brick surround to
left in basement storey. Left hand return front:- Two 32-light, cambered-head,
glazing-bar sashes to first floor in brick break, two further sashes in basement.
Rear - two double doors, glazed, under fixed casements, external wooden staircase
and balcony. Corridor connects to house on the left with square crowstepped stack.
Gable to left on house with leaded fenestration. Rear of house:- Triple gable
elevation with continuous leaded glazing at second and first floor levels. Central
recess on ground floor now with plate glass fenestration and doors.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) p.391.
LUTYENS: THE WORK OF THE ENGLISH ARCHITECT SIR EDWIN LUTYENS (1889-1944) Catalogue,
Arts Council of Great Britain 1981 pp.85-192.
EDWIN LUTYENS: Architectural Monographs 6 (Academy Edns) (1979) p.102.
EDWIN LUTYENS: Architect Laureate by R. Gradridge (1981) pp.11-13.
Listing NGR: TQ1328136701
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings