History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Edmund King and Martyr

A Grade II Listed Building in Godalming, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1837 / 51°11'1"N

Longitude: -0.6154 / 0°36'55"W

OS Eastings: 496866

OS Northings: 143629

OS Grid: SU968436

Mapcode National: GBR FD2.M7C

Mapcode Global: VHFVT.9H0Y

Entry Name: Church of St Edmund King and Martyr

Listing Date: 1 February 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1189582

English Heritage Legacy ID: 291359

Location: Godalming, Waverley, Surrey, GU7

County: Surrey

District: Waverley

Civil Parish: Godalming

Built-Up Area: Godalming

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Godalming

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Godalming

Listing Text

GODALMING CROFT ROAD
SU 9643 NE
(south side)
12/88 Church of St Edmund King
and Martyr
- II

Roman Catholic Church. 1906 by F A Walters. Bargate rubblestone brought to
course with ashlar dressings. Plain tile roof. Built on side of hill, giving
tall basement on north side. 6-bay nave with baptistry at west end, north and
south porches, and 3-stage north-east tower; lower 3-bay chancel. In modified
Early English style having moulded plinth, offset buttresses, lancet windows and
cross finials. Nave: steps with retaining wall up to door at right (west) end
which has shallow gabled porch with buttresses; chamfered pointed-arched
surround with hoodmould to recessed doorway, the double board door having
decorative iron hinges and moulded segmental arch, the tympanum decorated with 3
cusped-headed panels, the outer 2 with shields; relieving arch over porch. To
left of porch, 3 windows set at high level in pointed-arched recesses with
buttresses between. Tower has gableted, full-height pilaster buttresses; gabled
vice on left with 3 slit windows; one window to lower stage, two above, and
louvred 2-light belfry window; corbelled eaves to pyramidal roof with finial and
weather cock. South side of nave similar, with vessica over porch. Gabled,
shallow baptistry and paired lancets to west end. Chancel north side has two
windows and, on right, 2-storey pent-roofed bay with a 2-light chamfered mullion
window to each floor and stack on left. Further to left is attached Presbytery,
not of special interest. Interior: very plain with double-chamfered chancel
arch on attached columns with roll-moulded bases and plain capitals; hoodmould
with foliage stops. Corbelled, arch-braced roof trusses to nave; underdrawn
vaulted chancel. Carved stone reredos with figures of saints. Lady Chapel, in
lowest stage of tower, has well-carved stone screen and reredos with Madonna
statue and stencilled walls and ceiling. Decorative iron gates to baptistry.


Listing NGR: SU9686643629

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.