History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Cloth Hall (Laura Ashley)

A Grade II Listed Building in Guildford, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2368 / 51°14'12"N

Longitude: -0.5715 / 0°34'17"W

OS Eastings: 499820

OS Northings: 149596

OS Grid: SU998495

Mapcode National: GBR FCK.D9W

Mapcode Global: VHFVN.15QP

Entry Name: The Old Cloth Hall (Laura Ashley)

Listing Date: 1 May 1953

Last Amended: 15 March 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1189730

English Heritage Legacy ID: 289029

Location: Guildford, Surrey, GU1

County: Surrey

District: Guildford

Town: Guildford

Electoral Ward/Division: Holy Trinity

Built-Up Area: Guildford

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Guildford Holy Trinity and St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Guildford

Listing Text



SU 99 49NE GUILDFORD NORTH STREET
(South Side)
5/164
1/5/53 The Old Cloth Hall
(Laura Ashley)
(Formerly listed as
Premises occupied by
Surrey Probation and
After Care Service)

GV II

Cloth hall, now shop. Built 1629 by Archbishop Abbot and extended in late C19
to the street end. Red-brown brick with orange-red brick on the extensions and
plain tiled roofs. Rectangular plan at right angles to the street with tower
extension to the street (north) end. Two and a half storeys to old range, with
taller 3 stage tower facing the street. Tower: stacks to front and with parapet
around top; octagonal corner turrets under stone domes and finials. Buttressed
on ground and first stages with string courses above. Curved bay rising through
first and second stage on stone, moulded corbel support with stone-quoining and
stone-dressed, mullioned and transomed casement fenestration. 3-light leaded attic
casement above. One 3-light leaded casement window to ground floor left, one to
right flanking 4-centre arched stone door surround with tall plinth moulding.
Older, return range to right facing Jeffries passage with irregular leaded casement
fenestration, the majority C19. Chamfered-surround slit breathers along the first
floor with 3 windows in, later, upper floor above. Wall continues to right along
Jeffries passage at approx 2 metres height with brick-on-edge coping. Rear:- gable
and apex stack with gargoyles to angles. Left hand return front (east side): stone-
dressed mullioned and transomed casement fenestration in irregular arrangement.
Door to left with chamfered stone surround and label moulding over. The Cloth hall
was built on the site of the stables of George Abbot's Hospital of the Blessed
Trinity. Abbot intended it to be a manufactory to revive the woollen cloth industry
in Guildford and endowed it with £100 p.a. In 1656 it was converted to house
paupers and in 1856 it was used for the foundation of George Abbot's School.


Listing NGR: SU9982049601

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.