History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Two Lodges at North End of Runnymede Meadows

A Grade II Listed Building in Runnymede, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4486 / 51°26'55"N

Longitude: -0.5673 / 0°34'2"W

OS Eastings: 499658

OS Northings: 173155

OS Grid: SU996731

Mapcode National: GBR F91.1DR

Mapcode Global: VHFTH.3VZC

Entry Name: Two Lodges at North End of Runnymede Meadows

Listing Date: 17 November 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1189781

English Heritage Legacy ID: 289770

Location: Runnymede, Surrey, SL4

County: Surrey

District: Runnymede

Town: Runnymede

Electoral Ward/Division: Horton and Wraysbury

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire

Church of England Parish: Egham

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Old Windsor

Summary

Pair of lodges by Sir Edwin Lutyens 1930-32.

Description


Pair of lodges by Sir Edwin Lutyens 1930-32. Stone band below eaves and stone plinth up to cill level and stone quoins with red brick infill. Massive clay tile roofs with hipped ends, two large chimney stacks. Single storey. J shaped plan. East elevation group of three windows in centre, of 18-pane sashes, penetrating the roof and capped with hipped dormer roofs. At each end a single 9-pane sash window below eaves. All windows have louvred shutters. South elevation, single 18-pane sash of same design. North elevation, centre door and two 18-pane sashes. West elevation, pair of 18-pane sashes in wing. Gated opening and two 9-pane sashes on rear. North Lodge -mirrored plan of South Lodge.


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 12/06/2015

History

The two lodges are situated at the north end of Runnymede Meadows. They were commissioned by Lady Fairhaven from the architect Sir Edwin Lutyens in memory of her husband Sir Urban Broughton MP, who was known for his charitable works.

Magna Carta, which means 'Great Charter', was sealed at Runnymede on 15th June 1215. This was an agreement between King John and his barons and clergy which, for the first time, made the Monarch subject to the rules of the land. It also gave free men the right to justice and a fair trail. Over the subsequent 800 years it has influenced many constitutional documents including the United States' Bill of Rights.

Runnymede today is a memorial landscape to the on-going struggle for democracy and liberty.

Reasons for Listing

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.