This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.066 / 54°3'57"N
Longitude: -1.6412 / 1°38'28"W
OS Eastings: 423582
OS Northings: 463404
OS Grid: SE235634
Mapcode National: GBR JPZF.H5
Mapcode Global: WHC85.R2P7
Entry Name: Woodfield Mill
Listing Date: 13 March 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1189786
English Heritage Legacy ID: 330940
Location: Bishop Thornton, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG3
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Bishop Thornton
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
SW BISHOP THORNTON COLBER LANE
(west end, off)
7/19 Woodfield Mill
Water mill, now disused. Late C18, rebuilt 1831. Coursed squared gritstone
with smoother gritstone to sills and lintels. Graduated stone slate roof.
3-storey main block, with 4 first-floor openings, one blocked. 2-storey
wheel-house of dressed gritstone with pantile roof attached to right. Main
block: board stable door with 9-pane window to left, window blocked with
rubble and a 9-pane window to right. Loading door above entrance with
wooden supports for loading platform. Fenestration as ground floor. Second
storey: a shorter 9-pane window to each bay, that to bay 3 blocked with
brick. All windows have the top 3 panes hinged. End stacks. Wheelhouse:
wide round-arched opening with well cut voussoirs, board door above.
Lean-to addition to right not of special interest. Rear: upper 2 storeys
only are visible as the building is built into the steep slope which forms
one side of the mill pond. 9-pane windows to both floors. Left return:
lean-to open-sided shed covers the gable-end of the building which contains
a blocked doorway and fireplace with the initials J R carved on the mantle
stone. Right return: the wheel-pit and wheel-house are incorporated into
the gable end, with a further corrugated-iron shed with sloping roof built
against the east side. Wheel-house has ashlar gable coping and inturned
kneelers. The rear section of the roof has collapsed. The wheel does not
survive, but there is some machinery remaining. In 1805 Samuel Gratton
probably had a mill on this site, with 6 flax-spinning frames. In 1831 the
mill was rebuilt and continued in use for flax-spinning as well as
containing 3 pairs of grindstones. The wheel (breast- or over-shot) was 40
feet in diameter. The mill remained in use into the C20, a turbine having
replaced the wheel at about that time. The mill-race, pond and sluices
remain to the north and west of the building. Two other buildings on the
site were probably a smithy and a warehouse and granary. B Jennings,
A History of Nidderdale, 1983, pp 210 and 217.
Listing NGR: SE2358263404
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings