This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.0726 / 54°4'21"N
Longitude: -1.581 / 1°34'51"W
OS Eastings: 427516
OS Northings: 464159
OS Grid: SE275641
Mapcode National: GBR KPDB.JT
Mapcode Global: WHC80.PWCQ
Entry Name: Dole Bank Farmhouse
Listing Date: 6 March 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1189818
English Heritage Legacy ID: 330942
Location: Bishop Thornton, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG3
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Bishop Thornton
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
SE 26 SE BISHOP THORNTON DOLE BANK
8/21 Dole Bank Farmhouse
House. Dated 1670 with alterations C18. Rendered, Westmorland slate roof.
2 storeys, 3 bays, with slightly recessed C19 bay added to left. Central
C20 glazed door with long and short jambs stones and lintel with elaborate
carving in relief of central flower motif and flanking scrolls. Windows to
left and right are 8-pane sashes in stone architraves. First floor -
central round-arched sash with glazing bars; 4-pane sashes to left and
right. Stone gutter brackets, stone stacks far left and to right of centre.
Right return: first-floor sash window in stone architrave with datestone
above carved with cross and saltire cross. Rear: 2-storey wing projects to
right. It has recessed mullion windows with hoodmoulds, and a limestone
plaque over the doorway has a coat of arms with the crosses similar to those
on the datestone, and a sheaf of corn above the helmet. Dole Bank was
originally called Dall Bank; in c1230 William de Dall established a chantry
chapel in his courtyard, but it was not certainly surviving in the C16. The
Hearth Tax return (c1670) shows that Dole Bank was occupied by Thomas Berney
and had 7 hearths - one of the largest houses in the district. At about
that time Mary Ward was attempting to found an order of nuns at Dole Bank,
but her attempt was prevented by the prosecutions for treason of local
Catholic gentry in 1678 following the 'Popish Plot'. The house is still
visited by pilgrims. Father Hugh Aveling, 'The Catholic Recusants of the
W R of Yorkshire, 1558-1790', Proc Leeds Phil and Hist Soc X Part VI, Sep
1963, p 238-9. H Speight, Nidderdale and the Garden of the Nidd 1894, pp;
Listing NGR: SE2751664159
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings