This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1855 / 51°11'7"N
Longitude: -0.6132 / 0°36'47"W
OS Eastings: 497017
OS Northings: 143828
OS Grid: SU970438
Mapcode National: GBR FD2.MS9
Mapcode Global: VHFVT.BG5L
Entry Name: Mp Stoodley and Son
Listing Date: 6 February 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1189865
English Heritage Legacy ID: 291388
Location: Godalming, Waverley, Surrey, GU7
Civil Parish: Godalming
Built-Up Area: Godalming
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Godalming
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
GODALMING HIGH STREET
SU 9743 NW
Nos 57 (M P Stoodley
6.2 .73 and 59
Probably 3 houses, now 2 commercial premises, no. 57 with flat. C16 and C17, of
different builds, with alterations probably late C18, later C19 and C20.
Timber-framed with plastered wattle-and-daub infill; painted and stuccoed brick;
tile-hanging. Plain tile roofs. 2 storeys, no 57 with attic. Front range is
of 5 bays,2 right bays (no 59) retaining late-C16 timber framing; 3 left bays
(no 57) refronted probably late C18 with late C19 and C20 shop front. Parallel,
at rear, is a 4-bay mid-C16 range, part belonging to no 59 and part to no 57.
Front: no 57, on left, is of stuccoed brick having: recessed shop front with
panelled reveals and panelled bases to multi-pane windows, flanked by late C19
pilasters with fluted, pedimented consoles which flank fasica; on 1st floor
three 4-pane sashes in flush wood architraves; band below parapet from which is
corbelled 1861 clock with coloured glass panel at front and clock faces to
sides; 2 flat-roofed attic dormers. No 59, on right, has recessed late-C20 shop
front with panelled pilasters; 1st floor, supported by later brackets, has ogee
braces to timber-framed panels. Rear: rear range has exposed timber framing on
1st floor of right-hand bay, otherwise replaced by brick or plastered
over; various C20 doors and windows; roof hipped, with gablets;skk
outshut on right. The rear range is slightly shorter than the front range on
the right-hand side, and in the angle is a 2-storey bay window;rising above
this, from the roof of the front range, is a tile-hung gable with leaded light.
Late-C20 brick extension on left not of special interest. Left return: timber
frame exposed. Interior: rear range has jowled posts, arched tension braces,
partition walls between bays, west gable wall of old brick with a small, leaded,
iron casement window on 1st floor; roof trusses with cambered tie-beams, posts
up to collar (some gone), clasped through purlins and old rafters, these sooted
in 2nd bay from east. Front range: unjowled posts in no 59 and, in roof,
central, arch-braced partition wall, curved windbraces and some old rafters and
butt purlins. No 57 on ground floor has lateral fireplace with bread ovens,
dog-leg stair with stick balusters and spiral curtail, and solid block wood
stair from 1st floor up to rear, gabled loft.
Listing NGR: SU9701443824
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings