This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1084 / 53°6'30"N
Longitude: -2.2 / 2°11'59"W
OS Eastings: 386710
OS Northings: 356820
OS Grid: SJ867568
Mapcode National: GBR 134.2MC
Mapcode Global: WHBCF.54NC
Entry Name: Engine House at Sj 866 568
Listing Date: 20 November 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1189878
English Heritage Legacy ID: 275225
Location: Biddulph, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST7
District: Staffordshire Moorlands
Civil Parish: Biddulph
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Mow Cop St Thomas
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
BIDDULPH C.P. BIDDULPH ROAD
SJ 85 NE
7/20 Engine House at
- SJ 866 568
Engine house serving coal mine (now disused). Early to mid-C19, with
C20 alterations. Rough chisel-dressed and squared, coursed rubble;
corrugated roof (that part remaining at time of resurvey, November
1984). 'L'-shaped plan of engine house and attached lower wing of stables
or workshops; winding house beyond, in foundations only. 2-storey,
3-window front; chamfered eaves course; round-arch, cast-iron casements
to both levels. Arched entry to south-east adjacent to single-storey
workshop and/or stabling; chamfered eaves bands; small round-arch
casements flank 2 arched entries (now blocked) towards centre; remains
of winding house to south-east end. Single-storey wing and winding
house directly face mine shaft, approximately 25m to north-east.
The earlier workings at Biddulph are situated on the hillside, later
mines moved into the valley.
Listing NGR: SJ8660056800
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings