This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.0188 / 54°1'7"N
Longitude: -1.3268 / 1°19'36"W
OS Eastings: 444204
OS Northings: 458297
OS Grid: SE442582
Mapcode National: GBR MP5Z.J3
Mapcode Global: WHD9N.L7DY
Entry Name: Church of the Ascension
Listing Date: 15 March 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1189906
English Heritage Legacy ID: 330654
Location: Whixley, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, YO26
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Whixley
Built-Up Area: Whixley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
SE 45 NW WHIXLEY CHURCH STREET
(north side, off)
3/75 Church of The Ascension
Church of the Ascension. Mainly early C14 with some restoration 1862
possibly by Sir George Gilbert Scott. Ashlar with stone and lead roof.
West tower, 3-bay nave with north and south aisles enclosing tower, 2-bay
chancel. West tower of 3 stages with Perpendicular window to belfry,
embattled parapet with crocketted finials and pyramidal roof. North and
south aisles of 4 bays with intersected tracery to two 3-light windows.
South porch has hoodmould with head-stops, the arch has ballflower
decoration. Lower, 2-bay chancel has two 3-light windows similar to aisle.
Door between has hoodmould with head-stops. East window of 5 lights with
cusping and 6-pointed roundel to top. Chancel north side has a round-headed
window at east end. Buttresses to aisles and chancel have offsets and
ridged sloping tops repeated in the window ledges. Ashlar copings with
crocketted finials, gable cross to chancel. Interior: quatrefoil columns
carry north and south arcades under the tower. Double-chamfered arches have
hoodmoulds on head-stops. South aisle has piscina at east end and tomb of
Christopher Tancred (d. 1754) at the west end. Christopher Tancred's tomb
was removed from the chapel at Whixley Hall (q.v.) in 1905.
Listing NGR: SE4420458297
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings