This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2746 / 52°16'28"N
Longitude: -0.71 / 0°42'35"W
OS Eastings: 488115
OS Northings: 264837
OS Grid: SP881648
Mapcode National: GBR CXG.7BV
Mapcode Global: VHDS2.N303
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 28 May 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1189920
English Heritage Legacy ID: 233390
Location: Great Doddington, Wellingborough, Northamptonshire, NN29
Civil Parish: Great Doddington
Built-Up Area: Great Doddington
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Great Doddington St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
GREAT DODDINGTON CHURCH LANE
I SP88b4 (West side)
17/111 Church of St. Nicholas
Church. Late C12, C13, C14, datestone 1737 and C19. Regular coursed and squared
coursed limestone and ironstone with lead and plain-tile roofs. Aisled nave,
chancel, west tower and south porch. South elevation of chancel of 4-window
range of C14 two-light square-headed windows. South door with low-side lancet to
left. C19 pitched roof with corbelled cornice and ashlar gable parapets and
finial. 5-light east window has C19 tracery. North elevation of chancel of
3-window range with one lancet to left and two C14 two-light square headed
windows to right with low-side lancets below. South aisle of 3-window range of
3-light windows, one with reticulated tracery, the others with C19 tracery, all
with carved label stops. Similar east and west windows. Lean-to roof with
castellated ashlar parapet. Gabled porch to left of centre has plain half round
outer arch and pointed inner arch with roll moulding and C15 ribbed door. North
aisle of 3-window range of 3-light windows, 2 have Y-tracery with cusping and
one has reticulated tracery. North door to right of centre under pointed arch.
Similar east and west windows. Lean-to roof with castellated ashlar parapet.
Late C12 west tower is of 3 stages, setting back at each stage. 3-stage clasping
buttresses to lower stage. Transitional west door has triple-stepped pointed
arch with 3 shafts; 2 only with capitals. Round head lancet above. 2-light round
head bell-chamber openings to each face of third stage. Plain ashlar parapet.
Datestone on tower 1737 probably refers to restoration. Interior: 4-bay nave
arcades of c.1300: double-chamfered arches with octagonal piers. One pier on
south side is earlier with nail head decoration. Double-chamfered chancel arch
and triple-chamfered tower arch. Evidence of C12 transept on north side of nave,
C19 roof structures. Perpendicular screen, parts reset. Jacobean 2 tier pulpit
with hour glass stand. Late C17 communion rail with twisted balusters. C15 font
cover has been restored. Late C12 sculpture in vestry is Satan and the apple of
Eden. Wall painting south of chancel arch has crucifix with the Virgin Mary and
St.John. Stained glass, fragment of medieval glass: in south aisle south-east
window. Fragment of medieval floor tiling.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.232).
Listing NGR: SP8811564837
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings