History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Vicarage

A Grade II Listed Building in Towcester, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.132 / 52°7'55"N

Longitude: -0.9878 / 0°59'16"W

OS Eastings: 469382

OS Northings: 248672

OS Grid: SP693486

Mapcode National: GBR 9W5.92T

Mapcode Global: VHDSH.TNNZ

Entry Name: The Vicarage

Listing Date: 1 December 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1189926

English Heritage Legacy ID: 235159

Location: Towcester, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN12

County: Northamptonshire

District: South Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Towcester

Built-Up Area: Towcester

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Towcester St Lawrence

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Towcester

Listing Text

TOWCESTER MOAT LANE
SP6948 (South side)
13/135 The Vicarage
01/12/51

GV II

Vicarage. Late C17, extended 1854 by E.F. Law. Coursed squared limestone, old
plain-tile roof, brick end and ridge stacks. 3-unit plan. 2 storeys and attic,
5-unit plan. 4-panel door with overlight and wood lintel to right of centre. C20
back door with overlight and wood lintel to left. 12-pane sash windows to ground
and first floor with wood lintels. Datestone to far right removed from another
location: fluted pilasters supporting frieze and cornice framing panel with arms
of Sir Robert Banastre and inscribed S/RB/1613. 3-window range of 1854 to rear,
doubling depth of house, has yellow brick dressings, tripartite sash window to
left of part-glazed garden door and canted bay window to right. Interior:
parlour with C18 fielded panelling and fitted cupboard with semi-domed head and
shaped shelves; stone-flagged hall; kitchen has ogee-stop-chamfered spine beam
and large blocked open fireplace with chamfered bressumer. Staircase hall in
rear range has open-well staircase with stick balusters, cast-iron standard and
ramped and wreathed mahogany handrail. Collar-truss roof. Left end bay to rear
range is addition.


Listing NGR: SP6938248672

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.