This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1321 / 52°7'55"N
Longitude: -0.9882 / 0°59'17"W
OS Eastings: 469356
OS Northings: 248684
OS Grid: SP693486
Mapcode National: GBR 9W5.8Z6
Mapcode Global: VHDSH.TNGW
Entry Name: Number 88 (The Chantry House) and Attached Forecourt Walls and Gateway
Listing Date: 1 August 1979
Last Amended: 14 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1189997
English Heritage Legacy ID: 235180
Location: Towcester, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN12
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Towcester
Built-Up Area: Towcester
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Towcester St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
TOWCESTER WATLING STREET EAST
13/159 No.88 (The Chantry House) and
01/08/76 attached forecourt walls and
(Formerly listed as No.88 (The
Chantry) and Forecourt Wall at
No.88 (The Chantry House))
House. C15 with considerable C18 and C19 alterations. Coursed squared ironstone
and limestone, slate roof, stone end stacks. 2-unit through-passage plan.
2-storey, 4-window range. C19 studded plank door to left of centre in moulded
wood surround and late C18 pedimented wood doorcase. The door is recessed in
front with remains of original jettied timber-framed first floor above. 3-light
C19 wood mullion and transom windows to ground floor with stop-chamfered
lintels. Projecting tower to left end, originally a stair-turret, with moulded
stone coping. 3- and 2- light C19 casement windows to first floor with
stop-chamfered lintels. Stone-coped gables with kneelers. Attached forecourt
walls of coursed squared ironstone and limestone with ridged ironstone coping.
C15 gateway to middle of front wall has chamfered jambs and many-moulded arch
with 4-centred head. The wall is stepped up above gateway. Interior: 2-bay
ground floor hall has moulded cross-beam ceiling and Tudor-arched stone
fireplace with chamfered jambs and many-moulded head. Stone relief incorporated
in wall probably C17 with allegorical figure of Victory blowing a trumpet. Built
as a house for the two priests serving Archdeacon Sponne's chantry (q.v. Church
of St. Lawrence), suppressed at the Reformation. Bought back in 1552 by the
trustees of Sponne's Charity for use as a grammer school. Served as school and
master's house until 1866, when it became a house.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.435; A Towcester Trail (leaflet),
1983, published by The Towcester Local History Society).
Listing NGR: SP6935648684
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings