This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2419 / 51°14'30"N
Longitude: -0.5711 / 0°34'15"W
OS Eastings: 499841
OS Northings: 150162
OS Grid: SU998501
Mapcode National: GBR FCK.0FL
Mapcode Global: VHFVN.11YS
Entry Name: Parson's Almshouses
Listing Date: 1 May 1953
Last Amended: 15 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1190015
English Heritage Legacy ID: 289100
Location: Guildford, Surrey, GU1
Electoral Ward/Division: Holy Trinity
Built-Up Area: Guildford
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Stoke-next-Guildford
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
GUILDFORD STOKE ROAD
(East Side) Stoke
1/233 No. 92
1/5/53 (Parson's Almshouses)
(Formerly listed as
Almshouses. Circa 1796, provided by the Parson brothers. Red-brown brick, some
mathematical tiling on the south gable with hipped plain tiled roof. Symmetrical
plan with living accommodation either side of central hall and chapel. Two
storeys with brick dentilled eaves and stone coping on central pedimented bay.
Two ridge stacks either side of centre and giant end pilaster piers crowned by
stone spheres. 9 bay front, 4 either side of centre,with central lead plinth to
wooden hexagonal cupola under domed roof and spherical finial. Leaded casement
fenestration with intersecting tracery under 4-centre arched heads. Four windows
on each floor to each side of central projecting break. Similar window to first
floor centre; 4-centred arched head to C20 ribbed and glazed door in stone, roll-
moulded surround. Square, stone woolsack plaque in pediment tympanum. recording
date and names of patrons. Endowed as an almshouse for poor widows, known as
"sisters", the original accommodation was for six women and a matron, increased to
twelve and then thirteen in 1980 when the chapel block had a first floor inserted.
Photographs in N.M.R.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) p.287.
Listing NGR: SU9984150162
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings