History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gillowfold Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Biddulph, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1243 / 53°7'27"N

Longitude: -2.1728 / 2°10'22"W

OS Eastings: 388532

OS Northings: 358582

OS Grid: SJ885585

Mapcode National: GBR 12Z.3GZ

Mapcode Global: WHBC7.LQJQ

Entry Name: Gillowfold Farmhouse

Listing Date: 13 April 1951

Last Amended: 20 November 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1190053

English Heritage Legacy ID: 275236

Location: Biddulph, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST8

County: Staffordshire

District: Staffordshire Moorlands

Civil Parish: Biddulph

Built-Up Area: Biddulph

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Biddulph St Lawrence

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Congleton

Listing Text

BIDDULPH C.P. GILLOWFOLD LANE
SJ 85 NE
7/30 Gillowfold Farmhouse (formerly
- listed under Mow Lane)
13.4.51
- II

Farmhouse, now divided into 2 units. C15 core with wing of 1676 and
mid-C18 wing and additions. Coursed stone to C17 part, red brick to
C19 wing; blue machine tile roofs; end stacks. 'T'-plan derived from
hall and cross wing, extended to east. 2-storey, 4-window front in 2
parts: gabled stone wing to right with verge parapets and shaped
kneelers; labelled 2-light chamfer mullion attic window to apex and
built into apex of end stack. Similar 4-light window to first floor,
slightly offset to right and with labelled datestone over,inscribed
"WSE 1676". Further 4-light mullioned window to extreme right of
ground floor; set-back early C19 brick wing to left; dentilled eaves
with end stack to left; 3 sash-window front; raised painted keystones,
all but one now replaced. Central entrance; boarded door, surround
pulvinated frieze and pediment. Side elevation to C17 wing has 2 ranges
of 4-light labelled chamfer-mullioned windows and C20 central entrance;
further set-back C19 wing to right end. Interior: one large cruck
truss marks division of C17 parlour cross wing and former hall now replaced
by brick range; only a small portion of blade visible.


Listing NGR: SJ8853258582

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.