History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

163/5, Watling Street West

A Grade II Listed Building in Towcester, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1314 / 52°7'53"N

Longitude: -0.9882 / 0°59'17"W

OS Eastings: 469351

OS Northings: 248606

OS Grid: SP693486

Mapcode National: GBR 9W5.8ZF

Mapcode Global: VHDSH.TPFF

Entry Name: 163/5, Watling Street West

Listing Date: 19 August 1976

Last Amended: 14 December 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1190062

English Heritage Legacy ID: 235207

Location: Towcester, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN12

County: Northamptonshire

District: South Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Towcester

Built-Up Area: Towcester

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Towcester St Lawrence

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Towcester

Listing Text

TOWCESTER WATLING STREET WEST
SP6949
13/185 No.163/5
19/08/76 (Formerly listed as Nos.163
and 165)

GV II

Former coaching inn, now used as offices and store. c.1770 with C19 and C20
alterations. Red brick in Flemish bond with flared headers, plain-tile roof,
brick ridge and end stacks. Three-unit plan. 3-storey, 6-window range. Wide C20
double-leaf doors to left of centre in original carriage arch. 4 shallow canted
C19 bay windows to ground floor; blocked door between those to right of centre.
12-pane sash windows to fist floor-with gauged brick lintels and keyblocks.
9-pane sashes to attic floor. Rendered plinth, serrated brick storey bands, and
corbelled brick eaves. Interior has two open-well staircases in stair turrets to
rear with turned balusters. Formerly the White Horse Inn and the town's
principal coaching and posting inn.
(Piggot's Directory for Northamptonshire, 1830, p.628; George James de Wilde,
Ramblers Roundabout, 1872, pp.118-9).


Listing NGR: SP6935148606

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.