This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1322 / 52°7'55"N
Longitude: -0.9892 / 0°59'21"W
OS Eastings: 469284
OS Northings: 248688
OS Grid: SP692486
Mapcode National: GBR 9W5.8QH
Mapcode Global: VHDSH.SNXV
Entry Name: Sponne House
Listing Date: 1 December 1951
Last Amended: 14 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1190098
English Heritage Legacy ID: 235215
Location: Towcester, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN12
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Towcester
Built-Up Area: Towcester
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Towcester St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
TOWCESTER WATLING STREET WEST
13/193 No.187 (Sponne House)
01/12/51 (Formerly listed as No.187
(The Talbot Hotel))
Bank and shops, formerly inn. Mid C18, altered C20, with earlier origins. Red
brick in Flemish bond, slate roof, brick ridge stack. L-plan. 2 storeys and
attic; 5-window range. Central carriage arch with depressed-arched- ead and
imposts. C20 canted bay window to right, C20 door to left with panelled reveals,
reeded pilasters and cornice/hood. 12-pane sash window to far left with moulded
stone sill, gauged brick lintel and keyblock. Similar windows to first floor
except for central Venetian window with open pediment. Moulded stone eaves. Wing
to rear right with many C20 alterations. Optician's shop in this wing has large
open fireplace with cambered ogee-stop-chamfered bressumer inscribed TO 1707 GS
with a central carving of a talbot dog. Until 1960 the Talbot Hotel. Before 1643
known as the Tabard, at least as early as 1440, when purchased by Archdeacon
Sponne (q.v. Church of St. Lawrence) as part of the endowments of his charity.
Remained in the ownership of Sponne charity until 1895.
(A Towcester Trail (leaflet) 1983; Guide to Towcester Parish Church 1984).
Listing NGR: SP6928448688
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings