This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1812 / 52°10'52"N
Longitude: -0.803 / 0°48'10"W
OS Eastings: 481941
OS Northings: 254336
OS Grid: SP819543
Mapcode National: GBR CYH.7TC
Mapcode Global: VHDSF.1FCR
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 3 May 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1190174
English Heritage Legacy ID: 235503
Location: Hackleton, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN7
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Hackleton
Built-Up Area: Horton
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Piddington with Horton
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
21/103 Church of St. Mary
Church. C13 and C14, repaired and altered c.1720 at expense of Earl of Halifax;
body of church restored and partly rebuilt by E.F. Law 1862-3. Coursed limestone
rubble and coursed squared limestone and ironstone; slate roofs. Chancel, nave,
south aisle and porch, west tower. 2-bay chancel has inverted round-arched
relieving arch in ironstone below 3-light east window with C19 Decorated-style
tracery and 2-light windows to south side only with C19 Geometrical tracery, all
with hood moulds. Nave has central 1-light window to north side flanked by
2-light windows, all with C19 Decorated tracery and hood moulds. South aisle has
similar 2-light windows and 1-light window to west end. Double-chamfered south
door in C19 porch with similar doorway and 1-light window to either side with
cut spandrels. Small 3-stage tower has 2-light window to 1st stage west with
chamfered horizontal oval to head (renewed). Circular window to north with
moulded stone surround, large clock faces to middle stage west and south with
similar surrounds and 1-light chamfered bell-openings. Diagonal off-set
buttresses and plain stone-coped parapet with plain pilaster slips to angles.
Body of church has hollow-chamfered stone eaves. Ornamental ridge tiles to nave.
Alternating bands of ironstone and limestone, to south aisle. Offset buttresses
to angles of aisle and chancel. Tall elaborate C18 wrought-iron weather-vane to
tower has been dismantled. Chancel has alabaster and marble reredos and dado to
sanctuary with marble inlay trellis patterns to reredos, limestone quatrefoil
sill band. Incorporates sedile with chamfered pointed arched head with painted
and marble inlay decoration and triangular hood mould. Elaborate C19 carved
corbels supporting arch-braced collar truss roof. Nave has 3-bay arcades with
octagonal piers, moulded bases and capitals and double-chamfered arches.
Slightly chamfered pointed tower arch. Funeral hatchment, oil on canvas. C19
stain-glass east window, east window south aisle dated 1908, south aisle windows
of c.1920. Monuments: brass to Roger Salisbury d.1491 and two wives.
Free-standing tomb chest to middle of chancel of alabaster with praying effigies
of Lord Parr d.1546, uncle of Catherine Parr, and his wife Mary d.1555, daughter
and cousin of John Salisbury. Inscription to top edge commemorating deceased:
"Sir William Par Knight Lat Lorde Par of Horton and Lord Chamberlaine to the
Queens Highness" and Mary his late wife. Five flat niches to long sides,
separated by balusters. Mourners including bedesmen to niches, Leaf trail to
plinth with hunters and hunting dogs. Pairs of shields to each end. Wall
monument to Sir William Lane and family c.1580. Alabaster with strapwork and
inscription to apron; small effigies of Sir William and his wife facing each
other at prayer desk with children behind them flanked by obelisks and panelled
pilasters, and topped by cartouche of arms flanked by winged sculls. Wall
monument to Edward and Henrietta Montagu, 1756 by James Lovell. Pair of white
marble urns in niches with pineapple finials. Veined grey marble ground.
Inscription to apron, Tuscan pilasters flanking niches and supporting pediment
with cartouche of arms. Swags and flower trails. Other C19 marble wall tablets
to members of Gunning family.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1973, pp263-264; VCH: Northamptonshire:
Vol IV, 1937, p261; Basil Clarke: The Building of the 18th Century Church, 1963,
Listing NGR: SP8194154336
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings