This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9199 / 52°55'11"N
Longitude: -1.9659 / 1°57'57"W
OS Eastings: 402390
OS Northings: 335836
OS Grid: SK023358
Mapcode National: GBR 387.V3G
Mapcode Global: WHBD9.SV1W
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 12 January 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1190204
English Heritage Legacy ID: 273838
Location: Leigh, East Staffordshire, Staffordshire, ST10
District: East Staffordshire
Civil Parish: Leigh
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Leigh All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SK 03 NW LEIGH C.P. CHURCH LEIGH
2/131 Church of All Saints
Parish Church. Rebuilt 1846 incorporating part of the medieval tower.
By Thomas Johnson of Lichfield. Ashlar; slate roofs with coped
verges. Cruciform plan; crossing tower, 5-bay nave and aisles with
south porch, 3 bay chancel, 2-bay transepts; early C14 Decorated style.
Crossing tower: The 2 upper stages are visible above the roofs, the
lower of these has a slim ogee-headed loop to each face, pointed belfry
openings of 2 trefoil-headed lights with a single reticulation over,
and hood mould; crenellated parapet. Nave and aisles: Transomed
windows of 2 trefoil-headed lights and quatrefoil over, 5-light west
window with Decorated tracery; pointed west door with hood mould
terminating in heads; paired niches to gable with crocheted hoods;
coped parapet and diagonal buttresses to west end. Chancel: 3-light
windows to north and south, and 5-light east window; empty niche to
gable with crocketed hood. Transepts: Windows of 3 trefoil-headed
lights, those to north and south gables have 5 lights; angle buttresses.
Interior: Nave arcade has cruciform piers with canted lobes and sunken
chamfers; pointed arches with sunken chamfers; tall, pointed roll and
fillet moulded crossing arches, all with hood moulds terminating in
heads to interior; scissor braced nave roof with 2 pairs of purlins
and ridge piece and posts springing from stone corbels, supporting the
principals; rib vaulted chancel and crossing, the chancel has foliated
bosses and transverse and diagonal ribs springing from foliated corbels,
the crossing has diagonal ribs dying away into the corners and a central
circular opening for the bell ropes; highly decorative chancel floor
tiles attributed to Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin. Fittings: Quatrefoil plan font by H. Jeavons;pewter eagle lectern, octagonal stone pulpit with trefoil-headed panelling to sides.
Monuments: Alabaster chest tomb of Sir John Ashenhurst
d.1520, reclining figures of Sir John and his wife, the former in plate
armour with a lion at his feet, panelled sides with pairs of figures
under twin crocketed ogee canopies; marble aedicule to the Rev.
Ashenhurst d.1704, with Ionic pilasters and open top pediment contain-
ing coat of arms; marble aedicule to Elizabeth Whitehall, C18 with
panelled pilasters and open top pediment containing coat of arms.
Stained glass: East window by William Wailes, south-east and north-
east chancel windows contain medieval glass, 2 windows in north aisle,
1862 and 1868 by C.A. Gibbs of Bedford Square, William Morris and Sir
Edward Burne-Jones were responsible for the West window 1874, the west
windows of the aisles, 1890, the east window of the South aisle, 1913.
Listing NGR: SK0239035836
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings