History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary and All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Swynnerton, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9654 / 52°57'55"N

Longitude: -2.2018 / 2°12'6"W

OS Eastings: 386539

OS Northings: 340908

OS Grid: SJ865409

Mapcode National: GBR 14W.24W

Mapcode Global: WHBD0.4QRK

Entry Name: Church of St Mary and All Saints

Listing Date: 24 January 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1190214

English Heritage Legacy ID: 272364

Location: Swynnerton, Stafford, Staffordshire, ST4

County: Staffordshire

District: Stafford

Civil Parish: Swynnerton

Built-Up Area: Stoke-on-Trent

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Trentham St Mary and All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Trentham

Listing Text

SWYNNERTON PARK DRIVE (OFF)
1.
5373
Trentham Gardens
Trentham
Church of St Mary and
SJ 84 SE 2/2 All Saints
24.1.67.
II*
2.
1844. Architect: Sir Charles Barry. Stone. Perpendicular style. Nave with aisles and chancel in one, the original chancel and tower having been destroyed. Incorporates late Norman arcades of 4 bays with late C12 capitals, and mediaeval shafts which probably came from the priory church. Good screens, largely C17. Georgian west gallery. Reredos painting of the Entombment by William Hilton, circa 1810-20. Fragment of the effigy of a Knight, circa 1215, in the north aisle. In the south chapel: albaster monument to Sir Richard and Lady Leveson-Gower, 1559 and 1591; statue of the first Duke of Sutherland; 1838, by Chantrey. Monuments to the Duchess of Sutherland, 1868, A S Leveson-Gower, 1874. Florence Chaplin, 1881; Eldest son of the third Duke, 1888 - all by Matthew Noble. In the south aisle, monument to the fourth Duke of Sutherland, by Tinworth, 1917. As the work of a major Victorian architect, and for intrinsic value, the church is star graded.


Listing NGR: SJ8653940907

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.