History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fairhaven

A Grade II Listed Building in Biddulph, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1089 / 53°6'31"N

Longitude: -2.1799 / 2°10'47"W

OS Eastings: 388050

OS Northings: 356869

OS Grid: SJ880568

Mapcode National: GBR 135.1PC

Mapcode Global: WHBCF.H34Z

Entry Name: Fairhaven

Listing Date: 20 November 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1190218

English Heritage Legacy ID: 275256

Location: Biddulph, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST8

County: Staffordshire

District: Staffordshire Moorlands

Civil Parish: Biddulph

Built-Up Area: Biddulph

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Knypersley St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Congleton

Listing Text

BIDDULPH C.P. TUNSTALL ROAD
SJ 85 NE (west side), Knypersley

7/48 Fairhaven
-
GV II

Parsonage, now institutional home. Circa 1850, by R.C. Hussey. Coursed
and dressed stone; blue machine tile roofs; verge parapets, shouldered
and stepped kneelers; corniced ashlar side and end stacks. Based off
Tudor 'H' plan and intended to appear as if a screen passage should run
across the lower end of a great hall; late Tudor/Jacobean style carried
through especially to front elevation. 2-storey and attic, irregularly
fenestrated 5-window front; projecting end gables with range of block
mullioned and corniced 2-light sash windows to left and central end stack
to right flank central recess: cruciform mullioned window to left, gabled
half-dormer with 2-light sash to centre and small lights to right; porch
clasped against left gable run up as elaborately corniced and balustraded
tower, steeply pedimented carved plaque at first floor level depicting
Bateman coat-of-arms over pilastered and strapwork-enriched round-arched
entrance; cornice taken across entire frontage as cavetto string. The
building forms one of a group constructed under the patronage of John
Bateman of Biddulph Grange (q.v.).


Listing NGR: SJ8805056869

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.