History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fairboroughs Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Heaton, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1453 / 53°8'42"N

Longitude: -2.0649 / 2°3'53"W

OS Eastings: 395758

OS Northings: 360902

OS Grid: SJ957609

Mapcode National: GBR 242.SXM

Mapcode Global: WHBC9.76ZM

Entry Name: Fairboroughs Farmhouse

Listing Date: 20 November 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1190258

English Heritage Legacy ID: 275263

Location: Heaton, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST13

County: Staffordshire

District: Staffordshire Moorlands

Civil Parish: Heaton

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Rushton Spencer St Lawrence

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Rudyard

Listing Text

HEATON C.P. -
SJ 96 SE
5/54 Fairboroughs Farmhouse
-
1.2.67
- II

Farmhouse. Dated 1673, with late C19 refrontage and alterations. Rough-
faced coursed stone to C17 work, smooth-faced to C19 front. Machine tile
roof; verge parapets on corbelled kneelers. Hall plan with 2 cross wings
and cross passage contained in lower wing. Entrance front: to south,
largely late C19; 2 projecting gables of 2 storeys and attics flank
central recess, each section with ranges of paired 2-light casement windows
placed centrally to wings and offset to left in centre section; 3-light
restored chamfered mullion windows in the attics of gables; Tudor-
arched doorway to left side of east gable with datestone over inscribed
"IPS 1673"; counter-boarded, nail-studded door within entrance. East
front: gable to left with range of 2:3:3-light chamfer mullion windows
(ground floor 3-light window missing a stone mullion); set-back kitchen
wing to right with plinth, large window to right formerly ovolo mullion
and transom (still on site at time of resurvey, September 1984) and Tudor-
arch doorway to left. North front: similar format to south; right gable
has 3-light chamfer-mullions to each floor and attic; offset to right to
ground and first floors with a range of 2-light chamfer-mullion stair
windows to the left. Rear of hall rebuilt in brick. Interior: through
passage in east wing connects to kitchen or downhouse and divides sculleries
and pantries from hall to west. Higher ceiling and heavily chamfered
beams and joists to hall, formerly with heck and firehood, evident from
ceiling pattern. Paired doors to west end of hall to original stair location,
(but C19 stair)in north-east corner of west wing and parlour with rough-cut
chamfered beams.


Listing NGR: SJ9575860902

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.