This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8739 / 52°52'25"N
Longitude: -1.7965 / 1°47'47"W
OS Eastings: 413795
OS Northings: 330728
OS Grid: SK137307
Mapcode National: GBR 4BC.W1K
Mapcode Global: WHCFX.C1S5
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 12 January 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1190260
English Heritage Legacy ID: 273858
Location: Marchington, East Staffordshire, Staffordshire, ST14
District: East Staffordshire
Civil Parish: Marchington
Built-Up Area: Marchington
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Marchington St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SK 13 SW MARCHINGTON C.P. CHURCH LANE
7/151 Church of St. Peter
Parish Church. 1742; chancel rebuilt late C19. By Richard Trubshaw.
Red brick with ashlar plinth and dressings; plain tile roof with crested
ridge tiles to chancel, and coped verges. Classical style; West Tower,
4-bay nave; 2-bay chancel with angle buttresses and North vestry.
West tower: 2 stages, capped by octagonal cupola with leaded roof, ball
finial and weather vane; round-headed West doorway with keyed surround,
the semi-circular head blocked with ashlar and a projecting corbel
decorated with a vanquished dragon and supporting a statue of St. George,
part of a 1914-18 war memorial, circular keyed oculus over, blind round-
headed window to south with raised keystone; second stage marked by a
stone band, louvred round-headed windows with raised keys to north,
south and west sides, the latter surmounts a clock within a moulded
stone surround; cupola has similar louvred windows to each side, that
to the east blind. Nave: Round-headed windows with keyed surrounds.
Chancel: Gothic style; pointed windows of 2 cinquefoil headed lights
and cusped tracery above. Vestry has pointed door to north and pointed
window to south. Interior: Pointed chancel arch with outer chamfered
arch and inner ovolo-moulded arch springing from marble shafts with
foliated capitals and corbel bases; nave roof of king post construction
with braces extending from king post to principals, and angle struts
extended from tie beam to principals, 2 pairs of purlins; chamfered and
stopped ceiling beams in West tower. Fittings: plain octagonal stone
font; hexagonal wooden pulpit with splat balusters linking it to the
north wall; nave has panelled wooden dado and complete set of benches;
balustrated wooden rails at entrance to chancel and to sanctuary,
probably parts of one altar rail originally. Monuments: Alabaster
chest tomb, Walter Vernon d.1592 and his wife Mary Littleton, slab
incised with 2 figures; marble wall tablets to Robert Deaville d.1831
and to William Towers Minors Esq. d.1801. B.O.E. p.201-2.
Listing NGR: SK1379530728
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 25 October 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings